• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you cook a 'pout?

deadeye

I was just wondering if anyone out there has a special way for cooking those slimy things. My friends caught one last week and they boiled and dipped it in butter like lobster but not being a lobster fan I was wondering if there was another way. I usually just let them swim to fight another way but if there is a way to cook them up good I'm open to try new things. ><>
deadeye

Pout are a member of the freshwater cod family, just like the saltwater cod you find in the grocery store. Just like the cod you buy, you can bake, fry, boil, even grill eelpout. Use your imagination or your own favorite way to cook up fish.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Norwegians are famous for making fish cakes from cod. Eel pout, northern, walleye work great also . This is a recipie from a Norwegian lady from Petersburg, Alaska.

In a food processor coarsely grind up some nice eel pout filets (1 lb or a little more)(trim off and discard the yellowish belly meat)

add an egg, a minced small onion, 2 tbsp of flour, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1 1/2 tsp salt, a cup of milk, and a little melted butter (2-3 Tbsp)

grind up all together in a food processor, or chop the fish as fine as you can with a chef knife, and then add all together in a bowl.

Fry heaping tablespoons of the mixture in a little oil and butter, not too hot or you'll burn the butter (medium heat). about 4 minutes a side, they will get golden brown and slightly puffy.

Serve with golden brown onions fried in butter, and sour cream for a garnisn. Great with boiled potatoes, and a couple pickled beets on the side.