• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who Rides a Ski-Doo Renegade???

swedishpimple

I have been interested in the "crossover" sled market for a few years now. I like what the Renegade 600 H.O. SDI has to offer. I am wondering if the 800 is a good alternative too? If you ride the 800 how is your mileage?? I hear the 600 is second to none.

I would just like to hear you guys brag up your sleds some.

I will be using the sled for "boondocking" and trail riding in MN and Ontario. Nothing in the West, but still in deep snow and slush.

I doooo!

At this point I don't know of another sled I would rather own. I ride fairly aggressive and usually get 15 or so depending on trail conditions, but mine is the 600 H.O. not the SDI. It handles great and actually hangs very well with my buddies 800 Switchback. So well in fact that he bought a performance exhaust just to get a bit more edge on me. He is a big time Polaris guy but he has ridden it often and says he is very impressed.

Their great machines! My brother has two Renegades, both are 2006, one is an 800 for him and the other is a 600 for his wife. He lives in Seattle and goes mountain riding with them, but last year he brought them to Minnesota for chrismas. We went up the the U.P. snowmoilbing. These sleds are great you get a great trail machine, and a machine that can keep up with the summits in deep snow. I want one as soon as I cant afford it. As far as MPG I know the 600 is pretty good, 800 is not bad, it depends so much on your snow conditions so its hard to put a number on it but if I had to I'd say 10-15 MPG.

I would wait till 09 model year to buy the RevXP chassis. If you buy a carry over sled, the rev is a proven chassis.

As for keeping up with the summits. Some people I know that travel to ride out in Wyoming have ditched their gades for Summits because they said they were worthless in powder that deep.

Quote:

As for keeping up with the summits. Some people I know that travel to ride out in Wyoming have ditched their gades for Summits because they said they were worthless in powder that deep.

Summits are one sled I havent owned so I cannot speak first hand about them. I don't do enough "out west" riding to justify a mountain sled, but I have been out west a half dozen times over the years and it would be a real stretch to call a Renegade worthless. Over the years I have had 3 new Machs, 2 new Formula Zs and way back a Formula Plus and some other "off" brands wink.gif. For me, and my style of riding the Renegade is the best of both worlds. I have put as many as 375 miles on in a day, and over 300 miles several other times and didn't feel like a wreck the next day. The guys I ride with out west were calling it the "little mountain goat" so it couldn't have been too bad in their opinion. I wasn't setting the high marks, but I was able to go where they did with a bit more effort. I think its a great choice for a cross over style sled.

Like I said before I don't know of another sled I'd rather have right now.

If you do the math on tracks the Renegade 136"x16" = 2176 Sq. inches...a standard 144x15= 2160 and the new Renegades are 138x16 = 2208. ( overall track area)

To be apples to apples in track and flotation I don't think you and compare the Renegade to any thing over a 144". Not to mention lug depth.

Is it safe to say that a Renegade blows a Summit out of the water in trail riding??

I would love to have a Renegade for trail riding. I have an 06 Summit 800 that I ride out west. I did do a little trail riding with it last winter and it was a lot of fun. The longer track sure makes it ride nice. I wouldn't be afraid to take a Renegade out west either.

Quote:

Is it safe to say that a Renegade blows a Summit out of the water in trail riding??

Yes it is. The summit is horrible on a tighter trail, kind of like trying to pull your boat through the McDonalds drive through. The renegade is awesome on the trail and the longer skid smooths out the bumps nice and it goes through the powder great. ( I am talking U.P. powder not out west) But I think a good rider on a renegade would go farther in out west powder than a average rider on a summit. ( just my thoughts) skill and ability are important.

I guess thats what I ment, your not going to be setting highmarks with a Renegade but are you going to beable take it up in mountains, and climb hills and go almost everywhere a summit goes yeah! And those 16" tracks really help. We got some old 71&72 TNTs some have 18" tracks and others have 15" tracks. The 18" tracks go through deeper snow pulling a sled loaded, while breaking trail. Than the 15" tracks following the 18" tracks that are breaking the trail and pulling.

Also the Renegades better trail machines, sure you can take a summit on a trail. But the Renegades are wider like an MXZ which equals better cornering, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it is. The summit is horrible on a tighter trail, kind of like trying to pull your boat through the McDonalds drive through. The renegade is awesome on the trail and the longer skid smooths out the bumps nice and it goes through the powder great. ( I am talking U.P. powder not out west) But I think a good rider on a renegade would go farther in out west powder than a average rider on a summit. ( just my thoughts) skill and ability are important.

Have you ridden a Summit much on the trails and what did you like? I would assume it pushed through corners...or was it bump capability?

Just curious because I am looking at picking up an 800 mod in the next week or so. It has a summit suspension with a 144" track but it is on an 03' MXZ Rev chassis. I would be putting the MXZ A-arms back on the front instead of the Summit ones that are currently on there......just looking for a little more info.