• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 2003 regulations

ghotierman

Didn't realize they were eliminating the Seniors deal.
That really steams me. How soon we forget those who gave us what we have today!

Might have to take my Dad fishing at night or at some obscure location from now on in full camo!!!LOL

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Scott, I wasn't clear in my message due to my "rant"--the majority of lakes in SD are 4-a-day, 8-in posession, not bad.

My point is proper management. MN DNR sets rules and regs by politics, not by Biological expertise and it stinks.

What other states begin Duck Opener at noon and cut you off at 4:00?

Do we think that the state of MN will make it a law that anyone purchasing a fishing or hunting license will agree, by signing that license to allow a CO to search a car, boat, fish house, etc. without probable cause?

We need laws to protect everything because Man can't make rational decisions within morally acceptable boundries.

Some of us "get" that we're not "entitled" to all of these freedoms, they come at a price, just like our freedom here in America, or the freedom of choice--to leave some for our children or those truly of need.

I'll get off my soap box now...

------------------
Chells

Many of our seniors have to choose between food and medicine, Give them a break. Paying for forty five years should be enough. A senior.

------------------
If I was any
HAPPIER
Then I already am
i'd probably
WET MY PANTS.

Just a thought here, but has anybody checked the cost of a lifetime license. Maybe they did away with the senior discount because the average cost of a lifetime is cheaper than buying a senior over 5 years or so. If they did away with it for monetary reasons then I'm disappointed also!!

Geeze, I sure am glad I bought my lifetime license!! My projected savings just went up a ton!!

But seriously, I do see the doing away with the senior discount as a shame. What can ya do? In all reality, $18 is really not that much to do something that you love. If ya want to do it, you'll find a way to make it happen.

Here's an idea for those of us here who are upset with the whole thing-
Instead of complaining about it, why not buy a license for that father, mother, aunt, uncle or friend that have been affected by this as a gift. Also, try to take them out fishing as much as possible, spend as much time enjoying it together since their time as well as ours is limited.

Oh, since it was brought up, here is the link to lifetime lic. info-
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/lifetime/residents/index.html

[This message has been edited by GullGuide (edited 01-24-2003).]

good points gullguide....gift idea helps take the sting out...great early fathers day gift...perfect mother's day gift (opening weekend!)

I'm impressed with the passion of the responses, and also a little surprised that this is a shock to some. DNR is not totally to blame on this...it was a legislative decision...that didn't seem to get much heat when it was debated last session. Keep an eye on the capitol and the issues that affect our outdoor pursuits and put our rants to use pro-actively....
!!!!

my $.02

After reading some of the cold hearted, tight a$$ed, resposes in here today, concerning the demise of the Senior discount, I can only think of one comment.

SHAME ON YOU!

Why not give the seniors a break on their license? It's not like we will lose that much money anyway. If we are really that worried about the budget of the dnr why don't they make a percentage the tax that is on fishing and hunting supplies go to the dnr? The way I look at it is that a huge portion of the states economy comes from the lakes and outdoors why not put some of the money we spend on equipment we use to enjoy it back into the land. I'm not saying increase the taxes but take a chunk of the income from the tax on sporting goods and use it for the outdoors. As for the limits being changed, how often do you really go out and catch a limit anyway? I catch just enough so i can have a good fish fry. Then after that I let the rest go. If you really need more fish to feed your family take a kid with and have them be introduced into fishing, and help fill their limit. That way you give them a opportunity to be outside and you can have enough fish to feed whoever you need to feed. Just my thoughts on the situation. ><>
deadeye

Maybe they could have required them to pay the full price up front and "if" they wanted their money back they could send in for it like a rebate? There are a lot of seniors out there that can afford it and giving those who may not be able to an opportunity to get their money back could help? Just some thoughts. Like someone else pointed out the gift certificates/licenses bought by us for other seniors could be good. How about if I buy mine at full price and for an additional 1/2 price I could add one senior?

I think Gull made some good comments.
I also think the folks sticking up for the senior license have some good points. However, I think my hardworking grandparents would also agree with what I said in the first place: stop expecting things for free. The older generation worked for everything they got - that means they have earned our respect. It means that they deserve a break on things. It does NOT however mean that we OWE them free fishing license. It's too bad they can't fish for free. However, it's not like we have left them with no alternative. There are lifetime licenses to buy and as I and others have pointed out if you feel pationately about it go buy a license for a senior - it makes a great chirstmas gift. Now, something I DO feel that the younger generation can teach the older generation about is Catch AND Release. Now - before you go off on me... if you are a senior practicing CPR that's great. I will stand pat that the older generations did not grow up with the idea of CPR as a rule. I have fished with lots of folks older than i that look at me like I'm from another planet when I suggest they release that 22-26" walleye. Help them preserve our resources for their grandchildren to enjoy and teach them about CPR!

I don't give a Rat's butt what anyone says about what I say about this....,
But I know one thing for sure.
If you actually care enuff to B***h about whether or not a Sr. Citizen of this state or country has to pay for his/her license to fish, then take a little time to spend some time with a few of them & learn about how things were done, "way before 'your' time".
If it wasn't for some of those people, you wouldn't have the better huntin' or fishin' that you've had.
Sure, there were the ones who took a few more than they should, but, believe it or not, they were ostracized as "poachers" then, just as they are now.
If some of those "Oldsters" hadn't been around, fishin; & huntin' as they did,..... You wouldn't have any idea what a "Palomar" or a "Uni-Knot", or a "Blood-knot" was. Ya wouldn't have had a clue.
Who the Heck do ya think thought up some of the set-ups that ya use every day to fish, "hard" water, or open???
These "Oldsters" did....
You think about that, before ya worry about whether they have to pay to fish, or hunt..
What do you care????,
you're gonna buy a license anyway... right???
Let them have a "freebie" to enjoy in their day....
THEY DESERVE IT, for teachin' us young punks "How things was..., & How they could be bettered"

Shame on ya..... if ya take it away from 'em!!Or even, Want to take it away from 'em....
frown.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

DOggonit....
This Sr. Citizen thing really has got me fired up...
We're talkin about a fishing license fee of +/- $17.00. The price most of us would pay for a "better-quality" tip-up, to be used for "hard water fishing, that, if taken care of, would last for our children to use.
I would guess that it's less than most of you pay for a reel.Or even a rod/reel set-up. A setup that 80% of those that bought that "setup" would try & use for at least 3-5 seasons, unless ya wore it out, lost it or broke it.

Say.... How much do you pay to go out for a "meal deal"? $5.00,$10.00, How about if you decide to take the family out to Micky D's. Will a $20 make it.... probably not.

If you're a Sr. Citizen(65+),a resident of this state, have paid your taxes,& are not a felon.(Although there's something to be said about having "paid your dues".), then as I said,"Dogonit", let 'em go fishing....what the heck???
Do you think that they make that big of a dent in the fishery? Do you really think they actually go out & catch more fish than you??? Is it because they have more time to spend out there??? C'mon, Gimme a break...

These are people who have already "paid their dues"!!...
Let them enjoy ....

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-24-2003).]

Wow! what a topic!-I've heard lots of passion on the senior thing. I'm sorry, but yes we do owe them something, besides our time with them, and helping them. Of course, most seniors could afford a license, but at what point do we draw the line? Senior discounts are everywhere. Why? Because the majority of people understand the twilight years of our lives are precious and short, so make it more bearable.Dont we all want our senior years to be filled with "perks" that we so rightly deserve by earning our way thru tough times now? I dont mind working long days now, earning and sweating my way to retirement.Walk into any nursing home or look at any senior walking down the street. Look in their eyes. You'll see years of strain to get where they are now. We do WAY to little for our elders. Retirement should a great time to look forward to, with a little help from family and government.

$18.00 vs $6.50 -- That's what we're talking about here aren't we? Is this really such a major change in financial burden than anyone is at risk of not being able to afford it? I too strongly agree that my parents and grandparents have long paid their dues, and deserve some breaks. But a once-a-year break of $11.50 is very unlikely to make the top of anyone's list of priorities. If you really want to get fired up about the financial matters of most concern to our elders, just ask them. If you come across one that just can't spare the extra few dollars for a license, I'll bet YOUR wallet can afford the extra $11.50 that it would cost for you to get to spend a day listening to those timeless stories about "the good old days", "when I was your age", and "did I ever tell you about the time ...". The most difficult thing I've witnessed in watching my father grow older since I moved away 14 yrs. ago is that he doesn't fish/hunt as much as he/we did when I lived at home. He could care less about the cost of the license, but would love to have somebody to enjoy the outdoors with. If I still lived at home, I'm sure he'd find a way to pay $200 so we could fish & hunt together. If he couldn't, I'd give my left arm to come up with it myself. Or... I'd pay an extra $11.50 for my license! JMHO

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

ghotierman you're right. We've picked the wrong time to debate benefits of Senior Citizens. This should have been done months ago. In a sense, we're wasting our time here. We can talk to our congressmen abou it now though.

Makes you wonder what we'll lose with the state trying to shave off what, 4 or 5 billion this session?

Lot of good points Matt-I really dont feel 6.50 or whatever is much at all for seniors either. But I think its just a matter of whats more important. What simple way of saying thank you to our elders than to let them fish "free". Please tell me why kids up to 15,or whatever it is, dont need a license? They are much more likely to affect our resource, and not pay attention to laws. Many people stated why dont we give our parents, grandparents their license as gifts or simply buy it for them. Great idea. It will also help ensure families to fish and hunt together, and stay together, something we need more than ever today!! Good Fishing!!

Helping out a senior who can not afford a license is a super idea. However, many of the baby boomers that are reaching retirement did quite well for themselves. Also this segment of the population is quite large and in ten years the percentage of fisherman will be substantial. I'm thinking this entered into the decision.

My thinking seniors with pride will say little, where as some of the more well to do will be doing the crying.

Senior citizens lose their discounted license benefit, but incarcerated criminals can still fish for free without a license --- sunuvagun, what a great state we live in!

Hans

I was wondering what are the new regulations for panfish were. It has always been 30 sunnies and 15 crappies in the past what has changed.

On opening day of the Walleye season this year on May 10, 2003 I know you can keep only 10 crappies. Until then you can still keep 15.

I feel I need to make a comment after reading all 4 pages of this post. Our Senior Citizens do deserve a break. $11.50 is not much to me but to them it is. I still think $18.00 is cheap to enjoy something for 12 months. But, to some seniors that is a lot of money. Heck it costs me $50 bucks to fill my gas tank. Our fees to hunt and fish are cheap. A fishing license is cheap compared to other forms of entertainment. You go to 1 Twins game or Vikings game for what a fishing license costs and you are still in the nose bleed seats.

Here is 1 to think about. In California, the state pays $27,000 a year per prisoner. A child in that state gets $7,000 for schooling. Maybe we should call children prisoners.

There are lots of other injustices in other states and ours as well when it comes to fees and what money we give or forgive to our people. A fishing license is cheap compared to other forms of enterainment. That is what hunting and fishing are "Enterainment".