• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help buying a used atv

minnesotamusky

I'm thinking about buying a used atv. What are some of the things that I should look for when buying a used atv? Is a 400 to small for icefishing? I've noticed most that I see on the ice are 500 or bigger. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I dont know alot about buying a used atv, but i do know that a 350 would work just fine if your pulling a portable. I dont know about pulling other houses but my 350 works great with my portable. I heard from someone that you should check the air filter when buying a used one. They said that most people that beat the tar out of them neglect the air filter and it would probably be full of garbage.

If you're looking for something mainly for a couple chores or ice fishing, as mentioned a 350 will fit the bill perfectly.

If you're looking for something that will be used for year-round fun, go with something a little bigger. It all depends on your intended usage.

Some things to look for are:

1) worn tires or bent rims

2) look underneath the machine at the frame for signs of abuse i.e. dented rusty frame

3) grab a hold of each of the front tires and try to wiggle them, looking for worn tie rod ends. Do each of the front tires.

4) if you're looking at a SRA (Solid Rear Axle), take hold of both rear tires at the same time and try to move the machine side to side to make sure the axle and swing arm bearings are good.

5) again as stated, look at the air filter for neglect.

6) start the machine to check for smoke or a rich fuel smell from the exhaust (except for 2-strokes) and listen for unnatural sounds. Note some machines will have noises that don't seem right.

7) check the oil for signs of water. The oil will have a milky or creamy appearance to it. Smell the oil for a gas smell.

8) ride the machine. Watch for worn out shocks/struts. Some Polaris' had soft suspension on the front and would dive in corners (natural)

9) jack the machine up one end at a time. This is a perfect time to check for worn shocks/struts or worn bearings in the axle, swingarm, and A-Arms.

These are a few things that I could think of. Hope it helps.

For ice fishing I wouldn't go any bigger than a 500. Any bigger than that and they are built more for speed. The reason you see most are 500 and bigger is that a 500 is about where they start out now for utility machines.

One thing I would look for is how well it starts. I have been through a few machines now and have noticed that some just start and run better than others, even brand new.

I've got a 400 and a 350 and each works fine for ice fishing. It's never lack of power as is lack of traction. You can have all the power in the world but it is usless if you just sit and spin

I've had a 300 Polaris 2 stroke and currently a 450 sportsman 4 stroke. With both machines, never had a problem with: ice fishing, hunting/dragging deer, pulling trailers with fairly heavy equipment or going through raw woods/breaking trail on my folks property. Another advantage of smaller engines: much better mileage. I've heard from a number of folks the carbureted gets better mileage than the fuel-injected, but I've only owned only carbureted ones so I can't comment. The fuelies start easier in cold weather, but I've never had a problem starting either of mine. For what it's worth...