• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

San Diego at night

Dbl

Currently enjoying some nice San Diego weather, sorry and got out a bit last night for a few shots. Wish I was downtown many more opportunities for photos, but I will make due.

This was really an excersize in changing White Balance and seeing the different looks you can get. So while the photos here will not be on any walls they do show what playing around with the WB on your camera can do for you.

#1 Christmas light shots with tungsten balance, same color as christmas lights.

229270454-L.jpg

#2 AWB shot pretty standard.

229270897-L.jpg

#3 AWB in this one followed by the tungsten balance.

229271111-L.jpg

#4 Tungsten, makes the lights pop better and gives you that dark blue sky.

229271266-L.jpg

#5 Another comparison shot. Airplane in the top of the photo, nice blinking lights.

229271420-L.jpg

229271604-L.jpg

#7 Downtown and Coronado in AWB and Tungsten.

229271919-L.jpg

#8 The tungsten version.

229272210-L.jpg

#9 Coronado Naval Air Station North Island

229272587-L.jpg

Comments more than welcome, what works for you or doesn't, white balance, etc. Fire away. These look better at a slightly larger size especially the skyline shots, but trying to keep size within guidelines.

Dan, Dan the travelin' man. grin.gif

Thanks for sharing the experiments. The possibilities are nearly endless with white balance adjustment both in-camera and in PP (using RAW) these days. I like the ones with the sailboats in their berths the best, including both the AWB and the tungsten balances. Each has its own attraction.

As ALWAYS, great shots, Dan! Way to make me yearn to go back to my old military home. shocked.gif I agree with Steve, shooting in RAW allows you to also change white balance after the fact. I like the Tungsten look personally.

Thanks for this post it puts forth some great ideas and also shows the results. I like the whole project. I've done some similar series stuff while learning more about ev compensation, different apertures and shutter speeds.

Thanks for the comments guys, Mike and Steve you are right on with RAW. Change it all you want in PP. I do have these in RAW as well, just playing with different settings to give folks something to ponder and for those with a camera that may not shoot RAW. Mike I like a Tungsten balance myself especially with low light shooting.

I was going to head out and catch the sunset tonight but it is cloudy.... mad.gif Next trip.