• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do I gotta do?

Kyle

Ya gotta learn to have a thick hide and not take things personal on these forums. People are able to post anonymously and will say things that they wouldn't say to your face. And topics will go off topic, thats the dynamic nature of an online forum. Take it with a grain of salt, enjoy the banter, and appreciate any good advice you get. Getting upset at people is just going to cut off any possible good advice.

I agree blackjack. However, I wasnt and am not upset. I just think its unecessary. But you are right, and I totally agree with you!

Im headed out right now to my spot. Im going to look around a little bit for another possible place to intercept them before it gets to dark to shoot. Im gonna hold out until the last possible second of light tonight, so hopefully it will happen. I didnt mention this before, but I have never shot a deer with my bow. This is my second year hunting, and in two years I have put a ridiculous amount of time on stand waiting for one to give me a shot. Thus, still not having one under my belt, I am extremely determined. I'll let ya all know what happens.

Thank you

Blackjack's full of it, don't pay any attention to him.

Just kidding, checking the hide thickness I guess.

Good luck to any who still get out. If you go this weekend nobody can honestly say you're a sissy hunter. I'm pretty sure I'll get out some on Sunday might try for an hour tomorrow am, brrr.

Sit as much as possible. I don't think the deer are very active in frigid temperatures. They move a little, but not a lot. I would get out there every night the temp gets around the 20's. If you don't see deer in the next couple of visits, MOVE. Is it possible that you are on an exit route? Are the deer entering the corn field somewhere out of sight? Are you busting anything as you walk out. Pay attention to track direction, anything that can help you determine where they are coming from and where they are going. Check every nook and cranny, If I still had tags and time to hunt in December, I'd be looking for the west edge or corner of the corn field. I would not hesitate to get aggressive and get aggressive quick. If this means sitting on a pail at the other end of the corn field to see what comes out, then do it. Borrow a stand from a friend and put it on the other end of the field. Is it a field that is surrounded by woods, is it a corn field penninsula? Is it running North to south, east west, its hard to tell you what to do without knowing the lay of the land. I would be checking every other nook and cranny. You obviously aren't seeing the deer where you are so go find the deer. Its the best advice I can give you. You could end up spooking a deer or two, but standing corn this time of year should hold numerous deer. Check all low spots running to the corn field. You might strike out or you might strike gold, I know that you can't do any worse than you are doing right now. Pretty soon, 4 weeks left turns into 3, then 2, then 2 days, 2 hours, etc...

It took me 6 years to finally connect with a deer with my bow. I learned a ton in the first 2 years, the next 4 I primarily buck hunted, I got on this forum and got advice about shooting a doe to get used to it. I have gotten a deer every year now for the last 3 and they are getting bigger every year. Don't feel bad about not getting a deer right away. Its not the easiest form of hunting. Stay positive, eventually, it will happen, if not this year, maybe next, the pay off will be worth it. Good luck, keep us posted.

Thick skinned trigger in SEMN OUT.

96-

thanks alot for the post. I really appreciate that! Tonight I walked alot! I found trails comeing from a long ways off to the corn. I think that most of the deer are hitting the corn and then going back to there beds(obviously), But i didnt expect to see so many trails so far from it. Its a little hard to know what to think in some areas though, just because there are single deer trails criss crossing and going every which direction. Not only that but its in really thick low brush, swampy stuff. It looks to be pretty good, but I just wonder how much further from those trails they are if they are traveling all that distance to get to the corn? could be along way? the corn runs north and south in fairly wide strip. Most of the trails zig zag north and south too. I didnt see any deer tonight either though. Infact, I was about five mins away from getting some pretty bad frost bite on my big toe. It was totally dark blue when I took my socks off! Hurt like a ...... when it started to warm up!

Its interesting that it took you 6 years to connect. In the early season this year, I had like 5 deer including a 6 pointer in anywhere from 10-30yds, and I just couldnt make it happen. they just never took that last step to give me a good shot! I feel better knowing that others have had the same tough experiences that I am trying to work through now. However, this is why I love the sport, its one heck of a challenge, and if you do get to see a deer up close it really gets the heart going! Just makes it that much more special.

If its not to frigid I'll try to get out again this weekend, but I sure dont want to get that close to frost bite again, so we'll see in the next couple days. I'll be out for sure though as much as possible weather permitting.