• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winch problem

reelguy

The winch on my ATV decided to stop spooling out with power. It spools out manually just fine, but when I try to do it with power, it just clicks like its getting power and nothing happens. It is engaged and all of the conections look good. Anyone have any idea what my problem may be before I bring it back to the dealer?

same thing happend to mine, only mine would not hold a position under alot of tension. Ended up having to buy a new one as i'm not on warranty. If your not on warranty try a 4x4 shop and may save you alot of money

If it runs one direction ok and not the other, the motor part of the winch is fine. If your winch uses a "contactor" style switch to activate it, the problem likely lies there or in one of the connections on it. If you have the rotary style switch it most likely has burned or worn contacts in that.

reelguy, did you ever get your problem figured out?

Quote:

If you have the rotary style switch it most likely has burned or worn contacts in that.

Another winch problem for you experts out there...

I am going to try and see what is going on with my winch this evening. The last time I used it was to pull out a boat lift and it worked great. Went to try and drag a log out of the middle of trail while deer hunting and nothing, nada.

I have the rotary style switch that looks ok, but while deer hunting I had a buck retreival mission which led to him resting on it for a while. Is it possible that the switch could have been internally damaged? What are some of the characteristics one would look for to determine if the contacts are shot?

Thanks for the help?

CA

CA, that's possible, the buck's weight shifted things inside the switch. With power off, spray some WD-40 inside the switch and rotate back and forth. The contacts may just be corroded.

With power off, if you can use a 12v battery and jumper straight to the winch and make the winch move forward and back, the problem's in your switch or wiring. Check connections!