• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer movement vs. the weather

Dahitman44

I see a lot deer moving with a 10-20 mph wind, but I'm not usually out there if its that crappy, if you can get to a stand that is in a valley, or kind of sheltered from the elements, you could see deer move. When its windy, I hunt the bluff valleys, when its calmer, I'll hunt the field edges on top of the bluffs. Sorry, it might not help you much, but the deer should still be moving if you can somehow get out of the wind.

Trigger -- It is a little of of the wind -- it is a river bottom -- so it still could be good. T

Thanks

BTW -- I saw a nice 12 pointer bow hunting but he was 75 yards chasing a doe -- sounds like he is still out there so I am a little excited.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

swirling winds make it tough not to get winded, set up in a good travel cooridor, make a trail of doe pee past your stand/blind. a river bottom should be good, I hunt a creek bottom surrounded by higher elevation crop fields, it can really be blowing on top, but when i get in there little to no wind. It makes it harder as far as hearing goes too. But one thing for sure: you won't get a shot from the couch! I say get out there maybe other hunters will move a few past, and from what i observed in the ground blind yesterday, the fawns have been sent to fend for themselves and some of the does are ready now! bucks are fighting for the hot does, I have been setting up around bedding areas, and seeing many deer moving. take the rattle bag/antlers and a bleat and grunt call. good luck

Yep, I agree with Deano, get out there while its still hot out. The wind is gusty down hear, so at times it will be good. The wind might be tough to beat so be sure you are well sprayed and if possible, shower with scent free soap. Anything will help.

I was out this morning and lasted about an hour. It was just way to windy, thought my tree was going to blow over! Deer movement or not I didn't feel like sitting out there. I love evening hunts much more. Each second that goes by the better it gets.

I agree -- i love morning. I have to get the kids off to school so I have to wait till evenings.

Shoot.

Went out in the terrible wind last night and didn't see anything. I had low expectations, so that is the way it goes.

Conferences tonight -- shoot -- kids take priority, even during hunting season.

The wind died around here about 4:00. I took a couple of deer from the weekend to the locker & saw 9 deer on fields on my way home in probably 12 miles. It was in that last 15-20 minutes of light, but they were moving.