• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few more birds.

It was such a nice day today, I couldn't let it go to waste. Went to the state park today and sat my butt down behind the office. They have a couple bird feeders back there, so I figured if I was patient enough, they would eventually perch in the tree next to me. These were all shot with my elbows resting on my knees for my support. I do not have an ID on the first three, but the others are a blackcapped chickadee (duh), a junco and a Harris's Sparrow. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

1865156877_9578b3c5ba_o.jpg

1865981812_b3c755cd9f_o.jpg

1865153745_5599c1c448_o.jpg

1865159141_8fc5085022_o.jpg

1865158151_fa700b28e3_o.jpg

1865982962_6b53916e12_o.jpg

Nice captures, XT. The first is a pine siskin and the next two are winter plumage American goldfinches. Tough to get good pictures when the birds are roosting in twigs this thick. Looks like the autofocus caught the twigs in front of the Harris's sparrow, as they are a bit sharper than the bird. Just the breaks of the game in heavy cover. You did well. grin.gif

X, I don't really like coming over on this site and offering too much CC (except to Steve or DBL) because we are all at different stages in our photography deal and nobody wants to rub somebody the wrong way you know. But since you asked (twice) I'd offer up that if I were you I'd try and find an area to take shots without such a busy background, maybe find a neat branch and place some suet or seeds around it and wait them out in a blind... I'd also recommend using a tripod if you are not already. Just thoughts to start you out with I guess. I find that the more time I spend preparing for a shot, the better my results have been. I hope this helps a bit.

I can't really offer much more than what buzz has said. The branches in these photos to me are distracting from the main subject itself, the bird. Finding good clean backgrounds that enhance the subject is not an easy task for sure, but is one sure way to make your shots stand out.

Dan

Thanks guys, that's what I'm talking about. The only way you would rub me the wrong way is if you told me the photos really suck and to sell my camera and take up knitting. grin.gif However, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate a little C & C, but also understand you have to be a bit careful too.

I understand what you are getting at regarding the distracting branches. Unfortunately, I live in town on 2/3 of a lot. Don't have much for nature in my backyard, except for plenty of squirrels. They just come for the corn and peanuts. The state park is the only place within a short distance from home, where I can find anything to shoot. The feeders, next to the office, is the only place out there, where I can find birds. The tree you see in the photos, is the only tree next to the feeders. I don't think they'd appreciate me sawing off any of the branches. crazy.gif I certainly see where you are coming from. I'm just going to have to start putting on miles, to find better locations. I have noticed that my photos don't really stand out like some of the others I've seen on this forum. This explains it - too busy.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you can take a hint. wink.gif

I like the shots, especially 2 and 3. I think bird photography is luck and/or location -- like Real Estate...location, location, location. And then, of course, there is the determination factor. Think of the great Otter shots that Steve got by laying in the cold mud for hours. Or the fanatastic wood duck shots that Buzz captured. First, he staked out "the spot", then considered the light, and then was down low enough to capture the birds at their level. In sure there was a great deal of patience and perseverence there too. Not to mention taking a thousand shots in order to get "that one". I'm sure you know these things...but just thought I would add some musings.

XT, I also tend not to critique photos unless someone specifically asks for it. So many just post images here for the fun of sharing and don't want their pictures deconstructed.

It's really easy to get an uncluttered perch. Just mount a twig or stick next to your bird feeder, making sure it's in nice light and the background is as far away as possible (better background bokeh that way). Many times birds will land on the twig/stick or whatever else you decide to put up as a perch (you're only limited by your imagination) before they drop down to the feeder. There are, of course, a lot more convolutions and fine points to this approach, but that will get you started.

You can stand six feet away and get great images of chickadees and nuthatches that way. For most birds, you can use a blind. They cost $50 or so from places like Cabela's. That's what I use for my backyard setup.

There's nothing wrong technically with your photos you posted here. Like others said, it's nice to get rid of that clutter, and the perch is the easy way to do it.

While your yard is small, that doesn't need to be a disaster. If you get squirrels, that has to mean there are trees nearby, and a feeder with black oil sunflower will bring in the common birds.

If you can't make that work in your yard, bring a few cups of sunflower seed with you into the woods and put some on top of rocks or stumps. Chickadees will find you generally within a short while, and they'll hang around and go for those seeds, giving you photo opps.

One more thought on this X, your willingness to have others critique your work is what will in the end make you better... trust me! I started out the same way and had a few wise folks guiding me in the beginning (ie... Tom Wilson, Hobby) and that just grew to frequenting other more "upity" if you will sites where I could get the CC I needed to improve. If you go into it looking to learn, then asking for CC is the way to go... otherwise its always "nice shot" "good job" "atta boy" etc... keep posting and if you want cc keep asking okay. smile.gif

Quote:

While your yard is small, that doesn't need to be a disaster. If you get squirrels, that has to mean there are trees nearby, and a feeder with black oil sunflower will bring in the common birds.

If you can't make that work in your yard, bring a few cups of sunflower seed with you into the woods and put some on top of rocks or stumps. Chickadees will find you generally within a short while, and they'll hang around and go for those seeds, giving you photo opps.

I tried, several years ago, to attract birds to feeders. It's pretty amazing how fast squirels can go thru sunflower seeds. I finally gave up and started feeding the squirrels instead. I just bought a suet feeder and the starlings and squirrels loved it. It did attract nuthatches and downy woodpeckers, also. I made my own suet and the suet cake would last 1 day. I then built a large suet feeder with 1/4" mesh hardware cloth. It takes time, but them squirrels still manage to knaw at it. At least they have to work much harder.

I do like your last idea. Of course, you have to realize, the only woods in this part of the state, is the state park. It really does suck down here. Also, I do have a photo blind. I purchased it several years ago from an L.L. Rue catalog. I did pay a lot more than $50 for it. I'm just going to have to put it back to good use again.

Thanks much for the ideas. Maybe next time, my photos will "pop".

I live in Marshall. I do have a few places in mind, for next spring, if I can afford the gas by then. mad.gif They are talking $4 gallon by late spring. South Dakota appears to have it's birding hotspots, such as Waubay. Then there is always Big Stone. But, I'm always open to ideas. I may even head back to Agassiz NWR. The one thing I didn't like about Agassiz, is it's pretty much driving only inside the refuge. In 2 1/2 weeks I'm going to head down to Squaw Lake NWR, in NW MO. I have a brother that lives 2 hours south of there, so we're going to get together at that time. Hopefully, I'll get some decent photos of bald eagles at that time.

Oh yes very familier with Marshal. I will actually be in Marshal on the 16th of November, Emceeing a Wedding reception at the college. A good place for eagles about 30 minutes from you would be at Lac QUi Parle Lake. There is an Eagles Nest on the East side near Engebretsons Landing. I could drive to it but telling you the road would be difficult. The best place to look is the south end, just north of the (Contact Us Please). Inbetween, the look out on the hill and the old mission church, all the giant canadien geese flock up, literally tens of thousands of giant honkers. Siting in the trees along the road will be several Bald Eagles, Hawks, and other predators. Especially near ice up, when the wounded geese that can't fly away start to perish. YOu can get some excellent pictures and you can almost drive right to the spot. IF a guy used a little camo, blind, and a good telephoto, you could probably tell the color of the Eagles butt feathers. It would be worth the Drive. I will look at home and see if I can dig up some of my old photos of the lake and the area I am talking about. Also take note that on the other side of the road (same side that the mission church is on) is a large cotten wood tree. Actually it is the largest cotten wood tree in the State according to the sign on the fence. YOU will see a fence, with a small waking gate in it. IF you go through the gate, follow the little trail a ways and you should see it. I have not been to the tree since I kissed my first girlfriend there, but I am guessing it is still there. IF you stop at the Bait store next to the (Contact Us Please), they can tell you were it is. They can tell you how to get to the Eagles Nest also if you are interested.

Have fun. Hope you get a chance to get over there.

Thanks, Paul. Actually, Lac Qui Parle is closer to 50 miles from Marshall. If I take a couple back roads, I can get to Mitlying's Bait Shop in 45 miles. One time, on Jan. 1, the temp was in the 50's, during a real mild winter. I counted about 15 or 20 immature bald eagles in one spot, some feeding on a goose carcass. I only saw 1 adult, in a tree about a mile from there. Unfortunately, timing is everything. I've gone there in the spring, just to be told the eagles had just moved out a couple days before. This year, I called the refuge a couple times when I had a day to myself, and every time I called, there were few or no eagles spotted in the area. A few years ago, I drove all the way to Wabasha, only to see 1 immature eagle on the MN side and 2 adults, way across on the WI side.

However, I'll be sure to check these spots out again, later this fall. Thanks much.

I just hunted the pit blind up the hill from Mytling's. I counted four eagles searching for dinner right along the crest of the ridge.

Salt Lake south of Marietta, MN is a hot spot for birders at the right time of the year. And Madison is serving Lutefisk tomorrow night, don't miss it.

Yakfisher, thanks for the tip. Were they adults? If the sun shows itself this weekend, I may have to head over there. It probably wouldn't hurt to bring my fishing pole along. Last time there, a couple weeks ago, I pulled in a couple nice eaters, below the dam, across from Mytlings.

I saw a few people fishing and one had a northern in hand. As far as the eagles, I'm not sure if they were mature we were hunting in the late afternoon and the sun was in our eyes. They did look bigger than the geese that I saw if that helps.

Yak,

How was the hunting? I have a blind about 1.5 miles from Mytlings on CR13 towards HWY 7. Just haven;t been there to use it lately. I grew up at the dam. I spent pretty much eveyday there on my bike as a kid fishing religiously.

The refuge estimates 60000 birds but that is from the Oct. 26th, and not a lot of hunters during mid week. We were hunting out of blind 44 had some good opportunities. Blind 47 got three birds, we got zero. They seemed to have found the seam between the two occupied blinds and would fly just out of range of both blinds.

Boy 60k. that is way down from what it used to be. Back in the late 80's early 90's it would be 60-70 in september and near 80-90 during end of season. I suppose the colora break out a few years back did it;s damage. Also that Darn State of North Dakota and all that excess water pulling the flyway west a bit I guess. Any way hope you enjoyed lac qui parle, never been in a state blind before, just sat in front yard with a 12 gauge and a lawn chair. (only a little spoiled as a kid). laugh.gif

It was my first time in a state blind, I had only hunted near the school and SW of Madison, a couple of times back in the 90's. I spend most of my time hunting pheasants and looking for ducks on the west side of the county.