• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lab shorthair mix?

carpmaster4

Both breeds have excellent qualities. I have a buddy who has a black lab/german shepherd mix and gets his two roosters almost every time! It turned out to be a great pheasant dog. I would think a shorthaired pointer/lab mix would be great...haven't known anyone who has one.

For the whinning, get one of those old alarm clocks that you have to wind-up and wrap it up in a towel and put it in her crate (it makes them feel like they are sleeping with their mother). Works like a charm. For the chewing you are on your own, part of being a puppy.

Quote:

I like the pup but she constantly whines every night and chews on everythin

This behavior is in page 1 of the puppy handbook. grin.gif Even a pup from the most pristine of breedings will do this.

After a while the pup will grow out of the night time whining. Give it plenty of safe chew toys for the chewing. Lots of playtime to wear the pup out will help too. A tired pup is a good pup because it's sleeping.

Carpmaster - we have Annie - a yellow lab/GSP mix - she is a wonderful house dog, great with the kids, fairly well-behaved (doesn't chew anything in the house), rings a bell hanging on the door knob when she needs to go out, etc. However, she is high strung!! She needs the ball thrown to her every day and needs a fairly large yard to run. She can follow most simple commands. I never gave her any formal field training (I'm not a hard-core hunter - if I get out grouse hunting at least 3 times in a year it would be a miracle). Anyway, I took her out a few times thinking that some of the natural instinct would kick in. Not a chance!! I know that it's my fault for not providing the proper training but I was hoping for the slight chance that she would perhaps point or retreive a downed bird. Nope! She was terrified of the grouse that my buddy shot when we showed it to her. She'll stick to the trail but will not get into the thick stuff to look for birds. What can I say, she's a lover, not a fighter. It's kind of strange because I was told that her Mom, the lab and her Dad, the GSP, were both great hunting dogs. On the bright side, we have a wonderful canine companion without a mean bone in her body. Let me know how your dog turns out. I'm sure with proper training, it should turn out to be a fine dog.

I had a great labrador about 15 years ago that was an escape artist and would go over to her boy friends quite frequently which happened to be a GSP. Next thing ya know I had a litter of pups to deal with. I gave away all the pups for free. 2 of my buddies each took one and they both turned out to be great dogs. Both pointed like a crazy and retrieved very well. One thing I've learned over the years, if a dog has good instinct and the owner takes the time to work with it, it doesn't matter if it is a purebreed or mutt. I've even seen a pitbull/lab cross turn into a legitimate huntin dog.

Hi,

I have a lab/shorthair mix and she is awesome!!!!! Very good family dog. I don't hunt but we have woods in our back yard and she in heaven. Our dog has alot of energy. She never gets tired. She goes jogging with me in the warmer months and after running for 2 miles she will be asking to play ball in the back yard.

My dog loves to give love to everybody and everything. Also this mix is very trainable and they do listen pretty well.

Good luck.

>

>

>

Brian