• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Grunt Sequence?

VMS

Hi All,

Just sitting here contemplating the upcoming weekends and the rut coming into full swing... Started thinking about different grunt sequences and wondered what is your most successful? I have usually used a sequence of 4 grunts with pauses in between each grunt. Has been successful here and there for "cold calling" What do you do?

curious more than anything, and would potentially give me more options for different situations. The growl may be happening this weekend too...

Thanks

Steve

I usually do the same, 3 or 4 grunts maybe 20 min. to half hour between. Now with the rut coming on I will add an estrus bleat or two from a can call also.

3-4 grunts. Usually I mix a couple of short ones (just a puff) in with a half exhale or two. The grunts are still short. Now, I'll start mixing in the can a little bit. If I have a deer not coming in to the grunt, I'll hit the can call a quick 4-5 times. Last year it brought in a deer that otherwise would have walked by me.

When I rattle. I usually grunt, rattle, grunt, rattle, grunt. The rattle sequences are a couple of minutes long and the grunts will vary in tone. I have noticed that there are two different kind of grunts the bucks will make. There is one that sounds like my lohman call. Not very deep, more like an EHHH sound than anything. I have heard the bucks making this when they are chasing the does. And then there is the dominant grunt I can get from my true talker. I here this when they are announcing there presence. I use both during the rattling sequence to immitate two different bucks. Anybody else notice these different types of grunts? Good luck.