• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Close full moon tonight and tomorrow

Hey all. The full moon is going to be closer to earth tonight (11:52 p.m. where I live) than for many years, which can yield some nice photo opps. It will be 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than the second-closest full moon this year.

We started discussing this on Jonny's thread "something different," but I hate to see a thread hijacked so I started this one. Let's keep our moon discussion here so Jonny can have his thread back.

Finnbay mentioned how hard it is to get moon exposures just right and asked for tips, so here are a few tips.

And anyone else, please feel free to chime in. grin.gif

Ken: One word for exposure: Histogram! grin.gif If you have spot metering (you do, Ken, on the Mk2n), just use it. However, the meter wants to turn things to a mid-range exposure, so if you actually have the frame nearly filled with the moon or use spot metering, the meter will underexpose the moon, turning it fairly gray. To best preserve the whites, check the histogram and use exposure compensation to make sure you're as far to the right as possible with the highlights but not blown out.

Also, a tripod is a big help. And because the moon is so bright, iso100 will be plenty fast enough with tripod and all.

One last tip. Lots of cool effect shots with the moon rising are possible all the time. But to best capture the moon itself as sharply as one can, it's best to wait until it's well up in the sky to eliminate some of the atmospheric considerations you get when shooting something low over the horizon.

Good thing about the moon is it's not a demanding subject. I'd experiment with just the 300, then the 300 with 1.4 and then with the 2 and then with them stacked to see what you get. If memory serves, stacking the 1.4 and 2 on the 300 f2.8 with its total of f8 will still allow the Mk2 to autofocus. Although autofocus us overrated in these circumstances, and manual focusing could be a good thing to try out, too.

There, I'm EXHAUSTED! grin.gif

Matt: If you're limited to 55mm, I'd scout locations this afternoon to see if there's a landscape/cityscape you think might look good with a moon in it.

For all: The moon rises where I am today at 5:25 p.m. If you want to find out that kind of data for your location, use this simple search courtesy of the U.S. Navy.

I corrected the thread to read full moon tonight/tomorrow. According to the Naval site I linked to, the moon over Ely will be at its fullest point on Oct. 25 (tonight) at 11:52 p.m. Central Daylight Time, but it will LOOK full (a difference hard for the human eye to notice) for quite awhile after that, perhaps even into tomorrow night.

I wasn't aware of the exact time until I started looking so I could decide whether or not to plan a shoot, and I saw lots of articles mentioning both dates but none that really told me what I needed to know to help me out, and then I found it on the Naval site.

Last night's moon looked full to me, but I'm sure there was a little sliver of darkness over one edge. So I don't know if it matters to anyone whether they shoot it tonight or tomorrow.

Catfish,

When I first heard you talking about the full moon tonight I was going to chime in and tell you it was tomorrow night and that would have been according to the calendar that I have at work. After your explaination I'm glad I didn't. grin.gif