• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Afternoon Lesson

Spent some time with Steve this afternoon photographing songbirds from his blind - you'll probably recognize the perch. Got some good pointers and Steve said he really should post a tutorial on some of the stuff we talked about. Pressure's on, good buddy! Anyway, here are a few from our session:

[image]Sparrow1.jpg[/image]

[image]Junco.jpg[/image] [image]EveningGrosbeak.jpg[/image]

[image]BlueJay.jpg[/image]

Thanks, Steve! Opened an account with Photobucket and hope this makes a difference!

[image]IMG] Chickadee.jpg[/image] Chickadee.jpg

Took off the first photo - not up to snuff. Guess it looked better to me at closing time last night than it did this morning. Kinda reminds me of the college days.

Good stuff, Ken. Some still more sharp than others, but that's the way it goes with rainy days, slow shutter speeds and fast birds. I really like the junco and the chickadee the best (got that raindrop in there, I see). And No. 2, the immature white-crowned sparrow, is very sharp (and a bird I don't have photographed yet.) grin.gif

I reckon the Hupila backyard is about to undergo an interesting transformation. Your wife will wake up one morning and realize it's become a Birch Lake avian outdoor studio. Don't forget that burst mode! grin.gifgrin.gif

Oh, and that tripod is the Manfrotto 725B. grin.gif

Great shots Ken,

What kind of bird is that in the 2nd photo? Sounds like a great time. And Steve, I know you're here, when and if you get time a tutorial would be awesome. Also maybe just a photo of your setup if you're willing to reveal may help some of us. Just thought I'd ask.

Mike

Mike, that second bird is a Junco.

I like the nice clean backgrounds in your images. What ISO/shutter speed were you guys shooting these at? The ones I just was getting in those gloomy conditions were at ISO 800 1/180 sec... just curious.

Buzz,

Have to apologize. Apparantly my memory is fading faster than your sunset photo! I did have to kick the ISO up to 800. Rest of the info is correct. I was using a Canon 300 2.8 at just over 8' from the perch. We had a 1.4 TC on at first but it was too much.

Mike, that is an evening grosbeak. Kind of a tawdry one with the feathers unkempt. I'm not a birder, so I may be asking for ID's if I shoot one I don't know.

OK, when the original post went up there was a bird before the immature white-crowned sparrow (a female purple finch), so originally the second bird was the w-c sparrow. Now the first bird is the w-c sparrow. I'm so confused. Ken, did you pull the finch, or am I losing my mind? confused.gif

You might be losing your mind, but it isn't because of me. I edited the first one out because I wasn't happy with the sharpness (see my editorial note at the bottom of my first post). Thanks for all the compliments - Steve has a great set up for getting these results.