• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Darkhouse Pictures 2007-2008 Season!!!!!

bassNspear

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass n spear, We'll have to hook up next year as I have been fishing these lakes for sometime now. It would be nice to compare notes as I'm sure we've been on the same water and not even known it.

I get out musky, northern and bass fishing quite a bit during open water. Maybe we can hook up. Anyone else interested let me know.

Ended my season on Saturday. Almost didn't make it as one daughter was sick and the other had play practice with mom. Hit a local lake and had to wait till 5:17 before the first one decoyed. Five minutes later another decoyed. Two good eaters and my season ended. Good way to go out.

We can get together and go out on my boat forsure, i have no problem with that at all. Im sure your right, that we were out on the same lakes, and didnt even know it. But ya, we will have to hook up together and see what we can figure out together.

I like the great pictures showing fish in the spearing hole.

But, I also noticed a lot of people don't "square off" the hole or open it up 100%.

Man, if I didn't clean the hole up entirely (even under the house), my dad would not allow me to use the house. That rule sticks with me today....

Do any of you spear under the ice? I think it would be hard with uneven ice.

I am not trying to criticize, don't get me wrong. Just curious....

If the fish is not straight down in your hole, but you just see his nose and he looks like he is not coming in...do you spear?

My father is a "pro" at it. I do pretty well too, but mainly to my right and I can go way under my chair. The front of the hole is a good place to hit too...but to the left...I don't even try....

As a kid, my dad would like the house lined up so the best spot for fish to come in was from the left...being he was left-handed. I used to hate that!

Originally Posted By: Hammer Handle
If the fish is not straight down in your hole, but you just see his nose and he looks like he is not coming in...do you spear?!

I dont, and the reason that i dont is becuase the % that you are going to get a nice throw and hit on the fish is slim to none. You have to remember that the spear will float up and away when you throw it. So you have to make sure that when you throw it, that you are throwing it straight.

I don't since I would rather see them swim away then be wounded.

I only take shots that I know I have a very high probability of hitting.

I haven't wounded one yet (knock on wood)... but I have totally missed them all together several times. grin.gif

I suppose if there were a way to practice those shots on something other than live fish I would be interested, after I knew I could hit them, but until then I will pass.

The way I see it is; that fish may not come in today; but one day he will.

I have also noticed that sometimes the fish travel in groups. If I pass on that questionable shot, sometimes his buddy comes right in and decoys up.

In the end it is personal preference. If you feel comfortable taking those shots and you are sure you will not wound the fish then go for it. If you question any throw for any reason don’t throw.

Just my two sense.

I use a heavy antique spear.

I spear under the ice and so does my father. We average about 1 miss out of 30 northerns.

I don't spear as much anymore...so I may not be that good anymore...but was at one time.

It is extremely rare to wound one and have them get away.

But, you have to have a hole that is totally cleared. We always open our hole with a chisel so that it is nice a square with no edges. I would think that even spearing straight down, the spear could hit this ice and cause you to miss a fish.

My dad is MUCH better than me. I remember sitting in the house as a kid and he was showing me how to spear. A northern is there, but won't come in the hole. Finally, my dad leans way over, almost to the floor...and throws the spear under the ice. He pulls out the spear and the fish is hit right in the neck. "Don't try that" he said "unitl you have speared as much as I have. It is hard for you have to know how your spear 'glides'."

He also spears most of his fish right behind the head or even through the head (for small ones). "I waste no meat that way", he says.

Originally Posted By: merkman

I suppose if there were a way to practice those shots on something other than live fish I would be interested, after I knew I could hit them, but until then I will pass.

Next year you could set up a practice house at the get to gator. We could get somebody with a wetsuit and have them hold a fake fish on a stick. Then we could take turns throwing at it. grin.gif

Another dumb question....

When you spear, do you let the spear "go" and hit the bottom.

Sometimes I do, but it I see a good "hit", I grab the rope and stop the spear and pull the fish out. That way I don't get the hole all dirty.

As soon as you see the white of the northerns mouth as the spear hits...you can stop the spear.

I am just curious as I went fishing the other day and we were talking about spearing...and the person I was with was surprised on a few techniques that I used (learned from my father).

well I finally got my pike that I speared in December of 06. I made the spear for the mount and its a close replica of the spear that I use. This mount is very close to how I seen it happen except for the driftwood and the spear is accually in the same holes that I stuck it in the first place.

100_1642.jpg

100_1643.jpg

100_1646.jpg