• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled values

jig n' jerk

I am looking at purchasing a boat this fall and am looking to free up some cash. I have two snowmobiles and am thinking of selling one of them. But I want to keep one because I do enjoy riding. I am wondering what sled you could get the most for? I have a 93 xlt special with fox shocks a studded track and only 1400 mi. And I also have a 95 xlt touring long track with elec start and reverse with 1100 mi. What do you think I could sell them for? PLEASE no offers (against forum rules).

Thanks for any input.

The 93 XLT SP you'd maybe get $700-$800 if you sold outright even with low miles. I'd say you would be able to get a bit more for the XLT Touring. Probably a bit more desireable sled than the former because of the 2-up, electric start, reverse, etc. Didn't that year have the adjustable backrest and passenger handwarmers? Anyways, that type of sled would be great for ice fishing. I'd say you might bring in the ballpark of $1500.

Reynolds is probably in the ball park with the XLT value, not really sure about the Touring but will agree it "should" sell for more.

A guy just can't sell a used sled and make any kind of money off of it anymore. frown.gif

In the Bemidji Area I feel snowmobiles are kind of like 4 wheel drive trucks. Almost any 4wd truck will get you at least $2,000, not matter how old as long as it runs. Any sled in this area will fetch 1,000 if it is 88 or newer. Even the older sleds do ok for collectors. I think you could sell both for around 1,500 each here. I know prices are different in the metro.

Like anything...they are only work what somebody will pay.

Quote:

On second thought, I would agree with Hanson that the XLT Touring would be worth more than $1500, probably around $2000. Like I said before it would make a great sled for ice fishing.

Your dreaming search used sleds for sale and for the $2000 range you can buy a 1999 through 2001 model sled. Mid 90's sleds would be great for icefishing but antique iron on the trails. You would be lucky to get $2500 for the pair.

I don't think that is that far off considering there are two XLT Tourings (a '95 and a '96) for sale on Craig's right now for $1800 and $1900. Is that not in the ballpark of $2000? You probably are not going to get $2000, but you can start out around that.

Snowmobiles are a dime a dozen now, I am affraid to say. The market is far too saturated with non current newer models in nice condition with low miles simply due to what mother nature has done to us.

My take is that at some point its only worth so much and the numbers thrown around seem to be fair. What I see as your misfortune is that several model years newer are available for the same price. So, selling yours just got tougher....

Your 2 up adds no value for the reasons just stated. FWIW, I have (2) 2005 2 ups that are now worth 1/3rd the purchase price of just 2 years ago just sitting here depreciating away.... What your 2-up ADDS is SALEABILITY. It will sell faster than a solo seater. Might not bring you more dough - just leave the garage sooner...

Good luck.

I guess I would have to disagree with you that you are not going to get more for a '95 XLT Touring than say a '95 XLT SP or '95 XCR 600 (solo sleds) if you want to compare apples to apples. Check out what these two sleds go for in the Winter. In most cases these sleds are going to bring about a $1000. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a '95 XCR600 (one of the most problematic sleds Polaris has ever made). An XLT Touring is going to bring more than that.

Reynolds, remember we are discussing values of a snowmobile that is 13 years old. 13 YEARS.

You can line as many various 1995 snowmobiles (solo seats/2 ups/ low miles/high miles/ rusted/mint whatever you wish) up along the curb for sale and they all will bring about the same money if and when they ever sell.

My point was only to be that a 2 up will almost always sell before a solo seater, no matter what the year is.

Quote:

My point was only to be that a 2 up will almost always sell before a solo seater, no matter what the year is.

I would agree with that is well. Just seams like more folks out there looking for 2 up models. They will bring a little more money as well IMO but only a few hundred bucks on something that is over 10 years old.

I also agree with SwedishPimple's comment earlier on a bottom value for most "modern" sleds. Seams like a sled newer than 1990 will always sell for a decent amount of money. Not saying that a 340 Puma will fetch $1000 but most twin liquids from that era and newer seam to have a bottom value somewhere around $800. If you consider that a 1 year old sled is only worth half of new retail, there isn't much room left for depreciation, it all happens in that first 1-2 years of ownership.

Who would have ever thought the Indy 650 would be 17 years old. Yikes!!

To give you an idea on older sleds there is a michigan auction that has about 8 large consignment sales a year. You can look at all of the values of sleds sold at previous auctions also, and high bids on those that did not sell. Just search for michigan snowmobile auction and you should find it. When i looked last year at what my 2 '96 Indy Trails might bring it was @500. Needless to say, they will be run til they puke smile.gif

Another thing to consider is the fact that your 93' is the first year of the XLT and I might add the best selling snowmobile of all time. They are hard to find with that low of milage on them. You may consider holding on to that one as a collector providing it's in good shape and you keep the milage low. In another 10-15 years you could fetch more than you would expect to the right Polaris fanatic!