• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HDTV Question

xedge2002

I too have a question, not to bombard or take over this thread with a bunch of questions. I am looking for a thinner model tv for my unheated year around cabin, I dont want to spend a ton, and it doesnt need to be really big (17in or so ) would any of these models be ok, or would they freeze and cause problems?

Quote:

What are your guys' opinion on LG LCD TV's? Anyone had any experience with them or heard good/bad things about them?

We have 2 of them hooked up in our business, have only had them for less than 6 months, so far so good. But we also are not real demanding of them.

Quote:

I too have a question, not to bombard or take over this thread with a bunch of questions. I am looking for a thinner model tv for my unheated year around cabin, I dont want to spend a ton, and it doesnt need to be really big (17in or so ) would any of these models be ok, or would they freeze and cause problems?

I have a 17" LCD that I use in my fish house and it worked fine all winter. During the "off season" I have it hooked up at home which is used daily and it's still working.

Sometimes I left the TV in the fish house which was obviously below freezing, but before I turned it on I would let it warm up to room temp for a while after I got the fish house warmed up (which is something you should do to any electrical device that has been out in the cold and then brought into a warm environment). If it was an expensive TV I probably would not leave it there as often, if at all, in the cold temps though.

You can order decent cables from Monoprice for a fraction of what you pay at a local store.

The 6-ft DVI to HDMI cable I bought cost all of $6 plus a few extra $ for shipping. Came within a few days and it works just fine. I was pleasantly surprised by the construction for such a low price.

Monoprice has somewhat more expensive ones too, if you want, but the cheapest 6-footer they had works just fine in my setup.

Xedge --

While I've not owned an LG tv personally, I'm not a fan. When I bought my Samsung DLP (56") last year, I spent several hours in the store (on different occasions) comparing options, clarity, clarity vs. size ratios, longevity, brand quality and price (of course).

The most recent issue of CR just came out and it has a very good section about this and rankings of most of the top brands available. If you don't subscribe, I'd highly recommend picking up a copy -- it'll be well worth the few dollars spent.

Anyway, back to your question -- off all the brands I compared, LG ranked low overall (in my research), especially in picture quality. If you can, go into a store and compare the set your interested in to a comparable set of a different brand (Sony, Samsung, etc) and really look at the colors -- all of them (colors). Also look for level of 'grainyness' (for lack of a better term). IMO, LG just wasn't as good as the other brands. From a price stand point however, LG can be very affordable. Now, all this being said, the smaller the tv, the less noticeable these features will be, and again, IMO, the less it will matter.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of LG. I have had several LG phones and my washer/dryer are LG front loaders (which I'm very happy with), so in my experience I think they make a quality product (which was a big reason I initially considered them when purchasing a tv), but when it comes to televisions, I think they are "middle of the pack", at best.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Windy ~

I have the 1080 13 inch deep model. I too, initially wanted a wall mount tv, but for a couple of reasons I opted against it.

1) My wife is the type of person who likes to re-arrange our living room (personally, I think she just gets a kick out of watching me do it), so we liked the flexibility of not having to move the furniture 'around where the tube is located'.

2) I didn't like the idea of 'naked wires' coming off the tv, nor did I want to "relocate" the existing outlets (coax and electrical).

3) With the accessories we have (DVD player, HD receiver and old school VCR), I had to have some kind of stand for these items to sit on anyway, so it just made more sense to use a tv stand. And, because the set only weighs 65 pounds, I didn't need to purchase a new stand - the one I had worked with my application.

When the tv manufacturers come out with a television that has a built in HD receiver and a built in DVD player that doesn't cost 4 Kajillion dollars, I'll replace my DLP and put it on the wall. grin.gif

Good luck on your purchase -- you'll love watching your 'Pale Hose' on it (well, after this season, maybe not) grin.gif

(sorry, I get such a kick out of the baseball forum, I couldn't help myself).

Quote:

Yep you pretty much have it. Don't get hung up on the 720p/1080p thing and get a TV that works best for your price range. I bought one of the first 1080p HDTV's a few years back.....not because it had 1080p, but rather it had the features I liked and the size I was looking for. The 1080p wasn't something that sealed the deal on me buying that TV at all because I knew it meant essentially nothing and really still doesn't for that matter.

If you get a 720p it won't be obsolete for a LONG time, and don't let the sales kid try to convince you that you need 1080p so that you spend more than you want to. There is nothing wrong with buying the 1080p, but don't let them fool you into thinking that you're going to see some amazing picture that the 720p can't deliver because it's not true.

I was in the same situation as a lot of you recently and wanted to share a couple other points brought up to me on my quest. As was said don't get hung up on the 720/1080p. It is the new thing right now that they are trying to push and there isn't a lot of anything broadcasted in 1080p right now (except the hd dvd's and blue ray dvds which you need a expensive dvd player and each dvd is 25-40 bucks instead of $5-20)

The one big thing to watch out for is the contrast ratio that the tv has. Think of it as the amount of information per line. A lot of the 1080p tv's that are comparable in price to 720p only have a 1500:1 or so contrast ratio while the comparatively priced 720p has a contrast ratio of 10,000:1 or 15,000:1. That's a lot more "bits of information per line" that you WILL notice as opposed to the 720p vs 1080p. That is why I went with a Samsung Plasma 720p with 15,000:1 contrast ratio. Better overall picture for the $.

I hope this all makes sense.