• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has your chisel got a heritage?

Uncle Grump

Here's a topic for grins and giggles....

My chisel blade needed a little work the other night, so I set out to touch it up and show my son how to do it.

When we were done, he asked when I got the chisel, and that question prompts this thread.

My chisel was made for me about 24-25 years ago by my father-in-law, The shaft came out of an old IH combine (the kind that were pulled by tractors), and the blade was part of the frame. It's even painted IH tractor red - so I just might have the worlds only IH (now Case-IH) ice chisel. smile.gif

What about yours? Is it unique?

UG

Mine is now retired, but was made by my Grandpa in the 30's or 40's,. The shaft is a single piece of iron with a large ring on the top to tie a rope to it. It's a pretty heavy unit too. The unique thing about it is how I evolved using it. When I finally had the strength to use it, I would usually wind up with a hole that was three feet across on the top of the ice, and barely big enough to pull a sunny through on the bottom, plus I'd be soaking wet. Grandpa let me learn by doing, and eventually I figured out how to chisel out a hole that was more refined and I wasn't as wet! The only reason I retired it was too many close calls losing it.

My grandpa had a chisel that he was real proud of. The blade was about 16" long, and was made out of a model T Ford spring, He cut and sharpened a v notch in the middle and used to tell me that that was his invention. (Who knows.) this was welded to approx. 2 1/2" ft. of 1 1/4 pipe, with a handle/ring at the top. the whole thing is approx. 4' in length and pretty light for a chisel, but it works pretty good. I haven't seen it in years, but I assume it's laying around somewhere at my Dad's farm.