• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakers Through the Ice..need responses

Captain B.R.K

For those that have been out laker fishing threw the ice, I haven't had a good response on the subject .
I'm headed up to the Nestor Falls area around the 2nd weekend of January, talking about Whitefish Bay on LOTW and Crow lake.
What to know what type of rod those would recommend and then types of line to put on my reels, amount of line,etc.
I want this trip to be good.
Hope you guys can help me out on this one...
-B

Not too many guys actually get out to fish for them... I know a bit about it cause I read stuff and have watched a few videos. I recomend you do the same... You'll need a heavy very rod, and the locals will be able to tell ya what to use (big spoon/flier jig etc) But a book would be the best way start

I have fished Crow Lake for lakers. If you go to the ice show, stop by and talk to Paul and Chris from Muskie Bay Resort. They can give you really good info. They have a great place to stay, reasonable rates and great chow.

Myself, I use medium to medium heavy action rods spooled with fireline and a flourocarbon leader. Airplane jigs, or football head jigs with plastic tube baits have worked well for me. With the plastics, a stinger hook will increase your hooking percentages. I have always used spinning reels, but may give a baitcaster a try this year.

Rods I use a med heavy action with a good level wind reel. I usualy dont fish lakers any deeper then 60 ft. I like 10 lb. test for jigging. If you plan on fishing deep go with Fireline Ice. Lures: Jigging Raps, Swedish Pimples, Airplane Jigs, Bucktail Jigs, Piggy Backs, Beatels, Sonars and Cicadias. Start jiggin on the bottom and work your way up till your just under the ice. MY buddy one year had a laker mouthing his tranducer in the hole. If there up and suspended there hungry.
On your Dead Line use a spinning reel instead of a level wind. Theres less drag when a fish takes it and you dont want a level wind to rats nest on you when they run then stop. Dead line is usally a ciscoe on the bottom but you can suspend it.

I like to use a baitcaster reel w/ 10# test and heavier tube jigs, adjust spool tension to get a good controlled fall rate. A good level wind makes this a slick presentation. 1/8 and 1/4 oz Maribou crappie jigs on 6# usually produces better than bigger jigs for me. Use of a sonar in deep water is key though, when you see them come in suspended reel up or drop, you usually can get their attention pretty quickly. Dont be afraid to snap your jig around to call em in if it seems slow.

Capt'n Lakers are Fun! I'll try to fill you in on techniques that work in the high moutain lakes of Colo.
Rods: The longer the better, medium to heavy action. The reason for a long rod is to get a good sweep on the hit in deep water.
Line: Matching the line to your lures is very important. You want a line that stays tight against the lure at all times.
Lures: We use Gitzits and airplanes tipped with sucker meat.
Now you are set to fish. We use the Vex to find the fastest drop off we can. We usually start jigging right off the bottom but expect to mark fish all the way up the water column. Movement is key out here to trigger hits. We usually bring the lure up about two feet and let is fall keeping the line tight. Hits most times occur on the fall, hence keeping a tight line is important.
Bringing a laker up from 80 ft is a real hoot! Good Luck! Ice On!

------------------
IceNut

CAPTAIN BRK
You are not going up there with a guy named Butch are you? He is from Duluth and scheduled to go up there the same time you are and e-mailed him plenty of information on trout...if not e mail me at [email protected]

I have fished in that area for the last 15 years and I can e-mail you rods, baits, lines, where to go..... I am an avid lake trouter and I can give and help you out. or take GISSERTS suggestion and stop at the booth he recommended. We both know the resort and those people well.

One thing to consider about your rod choice is the length. I fish a sweatheart plus and a custom Thorne rod that's 32" long. 32" is about the limit on room before the tip of the rods up against the front of the trap. Not a good deal fightin the side of your trap and a fish at the same time ! LOL

MJ5- Thanks for all the spots on Whitefish. I had watched the most recent in-fisherman video and found where they were referencing to on Whitefish Bay. They were around Turtle Point and some narrows, probably the same narrows you are talking about! Thanks!

WallEYES: I guess I'm trying to find specifics as to equipment such as rod and line specs. Could you send me some information or talk with me on this. I will have to find this Butch guy.

I guess guys I'm not much of a baitcaster type of guy. I'm intrigued with the Thorne Bros. 36" and 42" ice rods that they make. I know the Dave Genz baitcaster is 36", but it seems a bit heavy for the fishing? Am I wrong on this one?
Keep me posted!

[This message has been edited by Captain B.R.K (edited 12-05-2002).]

I tried fireline last year and it seemed to freeze up alot on the spool and the tip guide, I don't think it made that much difference. For a stinger hook, try some that are designed for spinnerbaits, just bend the shank a little to get it to trail off in line with the jig hook. The Genz baitcaster is one of my favorites, the low profile guides keep it light and sensitive and it matches well with size 5500 ABU. There are definately beefier sticks out there that dont have that arc that helps in deep water.

So are for those that have the Genz 36" baitcaster, that is just a laker rod? I guess I'm looking at something that is multi-functional. Something I could use for any size walleyes and any size lakers. Is there a rod that does that?
THough it looks like I need a longer rod than my 30". Is a medium to light for lakers and want to go MH?

How about line guys, I heard that fireline freezes up, anything more on that? I know mono will stretch and I'm sure I'll be in the depths and don't want that to be a factor.

Keep it flowing, this stuff is good.
- Brandon

Gissert,

Where have you been out on Crow? I'm talking with Muskie Bay Resort on getting a guide for the days I'm up there. Hoping that will work out. If not, any help will do. I also sent an e-mail out to WallEYES so I'll look forward to hearing from you.
-B

Captain BRK, looks like you have recieved plenty of good info. I have a cabin on Whitefish and I agree with most of the tips provided. Move around a lot. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes, not. That's fishing. Good potential, run and gun, be persistant. Equipment is second rate to just being there and dropping something good down the hole. Try and get your house dark if you can and watch your hole (and vex) It can get exciting!

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock,

I agree, the information is exciting as planning this trip! I just want to cover all the angles on this trip. This will be the first trip that I every go specifically for lakers. I'm pumped!
I just don't want to slight myself on the equipment. I want to totally prepared for these brutes.
I'm pretty excited about it, as you can tell.
-B

What weekend are you going to be up there Captain? Early is usually better. I'm headed up on Martin Luther Weekend. We normally stay at my cabin, but I think we'll stay in town this trip. Where do you hail from? I also want to emphasize the importance of throwing those babies back and sticking to the regulations. I've read that it takes a lake to put on 1 pound. So a 15 pounder has lived 15 years to get there.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Let me clarify what I tried to type earlier:

It takes 1 year for a laker to put on 1 pound, therefor a 15 pounder if roughly 15 years old. I type faster than I can think, which isn't always good. Would love your email address if you want to chat anymore.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hail from Dulut...Minnesota!
I'm definately going to be catch and release for these suckers. I will have a good camera along and that relives many memories.
Going up the weekend of January 9-10-11. I guess the guy at MuskieBayResort said to come up prior to a full moon. Fish can be fantastic before or can be a bust, have you ever noticed any difs?
Hope to hit Crow Lake the majority of the time and then possibly Whitefish Bay for a day or so.

Never really been a moon watcher, but maybe a guy should look into that. I've had good trips and I have had a few busts. I'll be up the weekend after you so, I'd love to see/hear a report. If you have any more specific questions about Sioux Narrows/Nestor Falls feel free to ask..I've spent my whole life (24 years) up there on an island. (between school and work of course)

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

CAPTAIN BRK
Mail sent back. If your staying at Muskie Bay, talk to Paul the resort owner and he will go fishing with you if he is in town and not attending a show. There is a point not far from the lodge that is walkable that will put out some good trout. I am headed up there Jan 18-21st.

hay captin i fish mac all the time
their really not that hard to fish for
make sure you have a good drag 8lb line
do not use broom stick rods i like
pipe jegs 1/4oz fish the flats 40 to 60
deep you can also try tippin jeghead with
small peace of sucker bait dont let them
run to long or you will stress them out
especially when thay get over 30in
i could talk all day on this great fish to catch

The baitcaster model from the Genz series can be used for pike, walleye, eelpout and other larger game fish as well. Action will accomidate for all those species. Fill the spool woth 12 pound mono and you're set.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Ok guys,

I have a Medium 30" Lightning Rod-Dave genz with an Abu Garcia AGULF. Is this going to be a good stick? I was looking at 36" adn 42" Medium Thorne Bros. rods, would either of these be better?
Also I couldn't tell you the depths I'll be at, but I could say any where from 40- 80 feet. Would fireline be better and what pound of line on the fireline?
I knew of the tubes and airplane jigs, and know a little about areas they hang in.
The above specs would be great to get answers on.
This is a tough subject to get info on, but I appreciate it all guys.
-B