• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cover qustions

setterguy

I am looking at buying a new boat, does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind of cover to get, strap down or snap on? To me it seems the snap down covers are a bit tighter and aren't slapping against the boat while trailering. Thoughts or opinions appreciated.

The people that I know who have the snap on style covers have had problems with the snaps breaking or failing over time. If you get a custom fit strap on cover, there should be very little "boat spanking" going on. I had an aftermarket custom cover for my triton, and it fit like a leather driving glove. Very tight, with no place for water to pool up in.

I have one that I purchased with my new LUND and love it. It goes on so quick without the hassle of all those straps and buckles. How long it will last is yet to be determined but she's tight and looks nice with no water on the tarp after it rains.

I still prefer the strap type cover - I think that over time you're able to keep them tighter than the snap on type.

One big benefit of the snap on cover though is that you can put the cover on the boat while it's in the water if you're expecting a bunch of rain, etc.

marine_man

My father in law has a Crestliner snap on cover that he had custom made with the original purchase. That thing is so easy to put on and take off, and no problems in 8+ years. Very clean look in my opinion.

He is very particular about his boat and he doesn't have to worry about a strap rubbing against the boat while trailering.

Quote:

I think that if one keeps an eye on the snap positions as they do move

This is a big benefit of the Lund Pro Track system - you can move the snaps around, replace them easily without leaving lots of holes in the boat, etc.

Too bad no one else offers something similar!

marine_man

I have a snap on and really like it. It is nice not to have to keep track of strap and rope. But I haved had one snap come appart not a big deal I need to get it fixed but haven't got around to it yet. I know custom strap ones can be really good too. I am lucky in that I do have the lund pro track system that make it much handier for snap covers. I know my dad doesn't like that snaps as he can't get his big old bear paws to work with the little snaps. so that is something to consider if you don't have the best mobility in your fingers.

I have the snap type cover on my lund and love it. I had two other boats (Lunds) that had factory strap type covers and I had more paint damage from the cover movement while traveling than I ever did from anything else. After having the snap type, I'd never go back to the strap type cover if I had the option. If you're not careful you can break a snap, but if that happens they are easy to replace.