• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any 3 wheeler riders around?

McGurk

So... I picked up a Sky Blue '84 Yamaha 225DX 3 wheeler (great looking and running condition) from a coworker for $300, and am planning on setting it up for a light weight ice fishing rig. For the money I just couldn't pass it up, thinking about it now; I spent more on my flasher than for this! A little carb cleaning and a new battery is all it needed for an elec. start, full suspension ride to the honey holes.

Anyways, It got me to thinking; Are there more closet 3 wheeler riders around? I saw a few on the lakes last winter, and they seemed to be having a blast. I don't think we need to get into the safety issue as most all of us have heard it before; We all know you can flip a 4 wheeler with poor riding skills and reckless driving, too.

Thanks, and it sure does put a smile on my face. I was initially looking for a quad, but at almost 1/10th the price I'll try this for a season. Why is it that you can't get a decent used 4 wheeler for under $2,500? It seems like there is a huge gap between the price I paid and the low end of the used ATV market, and I looked all over the place.

From the DNR regs post Dave Posted:

All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)

"ATVs are motorized, flotation-tired vehicles with at least three but no more than six low pressure tires, with an engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and a total dry weight of less than 900 pounds. ATVs over 900 pounds are currently classified as ORVs."

"Where You May Ride-You may operate an off-highway vehicle:

-on private land with the landowner’s permission

-on frozen public waters where you have legal access (if not restricted by law or local ordinances)

-on public lands and trails that are open to OHVs."

"You may not exceed 10 mph on the frozen surface of public waters within 100 feet of another person that is not on an ATV (including people that are fishing) or within 100 feet of a fish shelter."

Yes, There are some of us Thrift folks out there still running 3 Wheelers to Pull our Portables around. I have a 83 Yamaha 200M that I use to pull out my Otter Lodge with Gear and Fishing buddy. Put on a Good Set of chains and you can get around pretty good. You will obviously have some steering fun as there is not a lot of weight up front, but I have my Auger mounted on the Handle Bars for some additional weight and control. Good Luck with your investment.

IMHO trikes are WAAAAy funner to ride than 4wheelers. I've been riding them since my first Honda 185s back in 1983. The 1986 Honda 250r is still scary fast and becoming quite the collectors item. I've seen several go on hsolist for $5000 plus with one mint specimen going for $8000. Nuts.

I'm still looking for another '86 250r if anyone has a lead :-)

I have an 84 Honda 200M and a 98 Yamaha grizzly 600. We have taken that 200M on 4 wheeler trips and it has been through He$$ and back (including 3 tires up in a big mud hole) And to be totally honest, I trust that thing way more than my Grizz. I literally haven't had to do anything but rutine maintenance on it.

Later,

Closet 3-wheeler

I have a 82 Honda big red without reverse but that thing is a work horse. It is fun to have around and is very light weight for early ice outings. I went "4 wheeling" ha, ha, a few years back and my buddies newer 4 wheelers couldn't go through the stuff that I could. Those tires will actually float you across bog and weeds real good. This was many years ago and it sure was fun to see what they can go through, over, under and almost never get stuck.

Oh, by the way I only paid $200 for mine, no bank loan for me, thank you....

mr grin.gif

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It should work pretty well for me with front and rear racks, a hitch, and as was stated: the price was right. I've got some chains for it and am looking forward to putting some miles on it soon. Can't wait for the goofy looks!

I still have my Big Red. Although I haven't used it in about 6 years now. I remember a couple things. It really goes well in wet swamps. Seems to just float over stuff. If you get stuck, just get off, give a little gas and push.

The biggest draw back was lack of traction in snow!

I have an 85 Honda Big Red. I love the thing. It can tow alot but is actually fairly light. It was out of comission last year but I had it fixed this summer and it is working well. I am looking forward to using it this winter for ice fishing. I do have one question. Is it necessary to have tire chains for it. I would be towing a Eskimo quickflip 3 with gear. Should I invest in chains. I havent in the past but I never used it that much for ice fishing in years past but I want to use it a lot more this year. Any ideas? Prices? Best place to get them?

I picked up a pair from Fleet for about $40.00 I think. There were two sizes: one for 22" tires and one for 25" tires. There is plenty of slack from the smaller 22" chains for my 22" tires that I don't know that there is much difference to the 25". I used them last year, and I will use them again, but I know that turning is a real pain without a front chain or studs. I had neither, and probably won't worry about it this year either.