• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tipups For Walleyes

pbowhunter

Hi
Im pretty new to walleye fishing. I want to try it with some tipups this year. My question is what type of tipup do you use. I use igloos and polars and i cant seem to get them sensitive enought to where i feel a walleye would not feel anything when he takes my bait. And do you use a leader of around 6 to 8 lbs or do you make the whole line this weight. Thanks

Both those tip ups should work just fine. My tip ups have the tip up line and then the last 3 feet or so I have 6 pound mono to a bair hook and colored bead. Either big chubs or light suckers for bait. Hope this helps you. Anymore ? just post.

pb , Some , ( all ?) Polars have a tension deal at the top of the spindle. Try backing off that nut at the top a bit and see if that don't help. Did you try setting the T-bar so when the flag trips the T turns towards the spring end of the flag shaft ? The side you set your T on depends on which way your line comes off the spool.

I'm with Jim W. Those Beaver Dams ( Arctic Fishermen ) are one tough board ! They do dump out from time to time if you don't store em right though. You can send the spindles back to the factory and for a few bucks they will send you a whole new spindle.

Try turning the center screw and either lifting the whole stem up or down. This will either increase or decrease the tension on the T bar. Otherwise put some catfish bells on the flag and the added weight will allow the flag to slide off the T easier. Plus you hear the initial hit on the line if your close enough.

I started using what they call a "Warrior" tipup last year. You use your own rod and reel instead of having to hand line it. They run about $16 this year. I just bought another one at Fleet in Bemidji. These things work better than any of my other tip-ups. I use them for both walleye and northern, depending on where I am. Has anybody else tried them?

I have a neighbor that lives a few miles away from me that invented a tip up last year that sounds very similar to what you are describing Raven. I wonder if that could be his design, (I don't know what name he was gonna put it under) but I know he was going to get a patent on it last year. Just thught that was interesting. I'll have to get me one.

LaVoi - Just looked at the one I bought yesterday - it is called "Artic Warrior" and is made by USL in Minneapolis.

Rick, you should contact these folks. This is a really great dead stick system smile.gif