• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broad-winged hawk and beaver pond

I came on this broad-winged hawk perched on a stump along the edge of a beaver pond. The BG is trees just starting to turn colors reflected in the still water of the pond.

Canon 30D, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso250, 1/100 at f7.1, evaluative metering, handheld

B-W-perched.jpg

Thanks, Bill.

Moose? What are they? In all the woodland wanderings I've been doing all summer, I haven't seen a moose since May, and that one was galloping across the old slash of a logging cut like the devil was after him. He was pretty cool, though, and I wish I could have gotten a few images. He had a hoary/grizzled whitish saddle to his hair across his back.

nice capture of the hawk Steve!....hmmmm moose smirk.gif....sure would like to get a pic of a nice bull...one would think in one's travels on cty 16 to the north shore over the last few years ,one would come across at least one of the big bruisers.... grin.gifnot...from skibo on is moose area (whyte road, greenwood lake, isabella etc....guess I'm just there at the wrong time grin.gif(shot a moose just south of isabella in 75' in my gun totin days)...just drive the roads I guess shocked.gif...maybe this fall....maybe..... grin.gif

Getting a picture of a moose is tough this summer. They just don't seem to be around. I drove what I have referred to as the Moose Run Route, which is Ely to the Gunflint Trail on about 75% dirt roads in the boonies just south of the BWCAW through Lake and Cook Counties. I drove all the way to the GF Trail and back to Ely in a day and never saw one moose.

As a matter of fact the only Moose I have seen since the end of may was the dead one along Hwy 1 that Mr. Catfish had posted a pic of. When I saw him he was pretty stinky.