• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard height on transom...higher for better performance?

Heartman

My outboard is mounted using the very top holes on the mounting bracket. What kind of effect would raising the outboard a hole or two on the mounting bracket have on my performance? I run a 17' Yar-Craft, 75hp Bigfoot Merc tiller.

Would my speed increase, at the cost of losing tracking by having less of my lower unit in the water? I'm talking about raising it a total of 1" or 2" max.

I wouldn't do it, it's set for optimal performance for your boat.

I have a Crestliner 1750 with a 115hp Evinrude, I need to lower it to the top hole (I am currently one below top) since my bow will not raise as much as it should, boat will "plow" a little even when fully trimmed at WOT.

You can try, of course, it won't take much (be sure to silicone bolts very well) but I will guarantee you will put it back the way it is now.

Quote:

The lower gears of the bigfoot are great for getting out of the hole and pushing larger loads but not for speed.

Oops.. I completely missed this point on my first read. I'm a bit surprised to hear you've got a bigfoot on a boat - usually that's kind of a special apps / pontoon type of deal.

How does it work for you?

marine_man

FYI-I needed to get more RPM's out of my motor, so I raised it (200HP on 1900 Pro-V) up 1 hole and it got me another 150 RPM's, but I couldn't really tell much difference on the top end speed. I first tried going up 2 holes, but that made it handle like a bass boat (not desirable in my book) and it only gained a couple MPH. It probably wouldn't hurt to experiment, but watch the RPM's and go with where it handles the best, just don't expect a big jump in MPH.

ZhEyUDmmEf0WARXbCYm3ykzyIkVm3yRM0300.jpg

As you can see (best picture I have), I raised my motor about 2”. I did gain 2-3 mph on top end and a little more control (turning) I use my boat more for the river, so the 2” help with rocks and such. The one thing I found was on Mill Lacs, I could raise my bow up in the air much higher than I could before. This helped with the 4’ waves I found my self in at times. I know it is a totally different boat and motor (not a Bigfoot), but it is what I found with mine.