• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Critter Problems

DonBo

Something is burrowing tunnels in my rose garden. Whatever it is is making tunnels in and around the plants. They are about the size of a half dollar. They come to the surface in little trenches in several places. They do not leave mounds like a mole. My cat caught a chipmonk here last year, but... I have tried mole / vole poison in the holes to no avail. Any ideas?

DB, sounds like Voles to me. I have them all over my yard and around my hostas. I've had success buying oversized mouse (rat) traps and putting peanut butter on it. Sometimes I set the trap out with peanut butter on it but not set to bait them in. I've trapped about 10 so far this summer. The bad news is, is that they breed worse than rabbits. I've tried the repellent (fox urine) to no avail. I haven't tried red pepper flakes yet but I might soon to try to get rid of them before winter. Hope the information helps.

a product called the "giant destroyer" works well on burrowing pests. it looks like a stick of dynamite. you put the fuse in, light it, let it get smoking and place it in a burrow and cover the burrow back up. it will fill the burrows with a gas that will kill the pests. I use it all the time and it works well!!

Katoguy~

A quick Google search will provide you what you're looking for. It's cheap too (unless you buy it by the case). I'm going to give it a whirl...

Thanks for the suggestion, Ryan V.

I just buy giant destroyers at my local ace hardware. they come in a package of 4 for under $10. i believe they might also have them (or something similar) at menards, home depot...etc.

Picked up a pack of the Destroyers last night - pack of 4 for under $7.

Question Ryan V ~ the package doesn't say, but should I have any concerns putting these down a hole that's near the house? I have cement front patio and the little buggers burrowed down adjacent to it. Also, how much smoke are we talking with these things? Any harmful effects for kids, or should I make sure to do it when they're not around?

Thanks?

it does give off a lot of smoke, but should remain underground. I will occasionally see a little smoke coming up from the ground when I do it. I don't do it when my kids are near, probably not necessary, but why chance it. I have actually put one under my cement slab in my pole shed before. I smelled it right away when it was burning, but it didn't linger. the main thing is to make sure it's burning good, put it down the hole and cover the hole back up with something. I watch it for about 5-7 minutes and it I see smoke coming up any other holes, I cover them as well. it should work on woodchucks as well.