• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a better tripod, Advice anyone?

I am now going to replace my crappy (fairly good quality) tripod with a very good tripod. I know that ball mount is a shure thing. So what do you guys look for in a tripod? I am a tall ugly fat guy who doesnt like to bend over to look through the viewfinder if I dont have to so a 50" total height would be ideal, but can still fold down a little smaller. Maybe that is just a pipe dream and I will need to just buy 2 but what the heck.

Paul, I spent $100 on the Manfrotto 724B about a year ago. Higher than 64 inches extended, fairly light but very strong and easily capable of holding my 100-400L IS rock steady fully extended. It's rated for just under eight pounds. It has an integral ballhead, too, so you don't have to spend more bucks for a head. The new version, the 725B, is about $10 more and also now comes with a quick-release plate.

I've done all my photo gear shopping online for the last four years at Canoga Camera. Can't post the link here, but string the names together in the usual way and you'll get there. The 725B is going for $112 there.

As long as you don't start shooting the big boys like the Canon 400 f2.8, 500 f4 or 600 f4, it's all the tripod you'd ever need.

I have a Manfrotto 3021Pro that I paid around $160 and a 486RC2 Ball head with quick release around $70. ROCK solid and the center column slides into the neck horizontally for low to the ground and macro work. Rated to 11 lbs. I'm 6'2" and I can't see the camera viewfinder when its fully extended. Great system for the money.

Paul,

I just picked up an Induro A-214 tripod for $139.00 I am 5' 11" and it' at eye level without the center post extended. It seems very solid to me. It has screw type section locks that are water and crud proof. It weighs about 4.25 lbs. I really like it. I also picked up a Brogen grip ball head. I like that very much as well. The grip gives me alot of control when using a big lens or a small lens.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck

Mike