• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What you couldn't live with

Captain B.R.K

SO everyone writes about the best piece of equipment that they have ever. That piece of equipment always gets talked about and is the piece of a conversation for years. Yet it over shadows that piece of equipment that you just pull teeth about buying. I'm talking about that piece of equipment that makes every trip more enjoyable and is used all the time.
Mine, I would say a leather man. I don't know how many times I've used that as a chisel to loosen ice that has formed around my base of the fishhouse. Also the knife and clippers on it for cutting fishing line.
Come that to all my other gear that I own and it is a very small piece of equipment, yet I find it essential to be on me when I'm out.
So......What is it that you couldn't live with?

When it comes to ice-fishing, I can't live w/o my vexilar. Spoiled? Maybe, but I don't think so. I often joke (or not joke) that I would rather forget my rod than my Vex. I'm to the point that if I had to give up my Vexilar, I would probably just quit ice-fishing all together. Sad but True--and it's not just a Metallica tune.

vexTime

Come on guys, now lets put away those big pieces of equipment and get to the nitty gritty. I'd like to see what others bring with them that are essential away from your vexilars, augers, etc. (I'm making those a given when you head out onto the ice).

Sorry, but it is more of a list than just one piece of equipment, what I consider to be the "kit" that works for me, everytime I go ice fishing. I agree about the leatherman!

Hiking boots and a pair of warm boots and dry socks to change into once I arrive at my destination. Otter sled and cabin; makes it easier to jig, my favorite method. LED headlamp, lightest, brightest, longest lasting source of light for the money and weight. Razor sharp hand auger blades, way better than a power auger in 2' or less ice thickness. Swedish pimples and jigging raps. Sweetheart ice rod blanks from Thorne bros. simply the best, solid graphite, fun to "build your own" and proper balance of sensitivity, backbone, and durability. Coleman personal coolers, simply the best leakproof baitbucket known to man. Wicking long underwear, do I need to bring the buddy heater? Fingerless gloves, do I need to bring the buddy heater? Vexilar. Anything else, well besides a thermos of some hot liquid is just extra...

I'm gonna have to go with coldone on this one... THE SWEETHEARt SOLID graphite blank rod form thorne bros' Like he said it doens't take a rocket scientist to make a ice fishing rod, but once you do, you will never... and I mean NEVER, buy another ice rod in your life.

#2.. I rigged a different kind of rope system for pullin my Frabill XLTwin on the ice...

Pwaldow123,
I know you wanted to here from Ex, but I also have a tow rope idea, I used a 50' 5/8" polypropylene rope to tie my portable, I used 3/8" bolts and washers to attach to the portable, and tie on with a simple sailor type not, which allows for quick removal. The longer length allows for a better mechanical advantage on the sled (the pulling angle is lower and therefore the force vector being more in the forward direction, rather than lifting upwards). With a double back and a simple knot it can be easily tranformed into a double loop configuration to allow for upgrade to two person power in deeper snow conditions. The second, (or perhaps primary) consideration with this type of rope is that it can be easily and quickly untied to be used as a rescue rope, I would be able to stand a safe distance from a fellow icefisherperson in trouble, and still have plenty of working distance to attempt a rescue, if the tables were to be turned, I may be able to untie it and throw it to someone to rescue myself. The long length is also advantageous for a tempory tow rig for a snow machine or wheeler. Moreover, the thickness and suptleness is comfortable and does not "bite in" on the hands/shoulders/waist while towing. Polypro rope also has no memory and is more suitable for knot tying compared to nylon, and not really that much more $$.

Ice Cube-- If I could get that kind of meal everytime I was out, man, I would be one fullfilled person!
I want to raise a question with the LED lights. I would love to go this route, but I have the Northern Lights Coleman lantern and love the thing to death because of the heat it produces and the light. THose that have the LED say it's brighter???? How about the differences?

I hear ya on the Coleman lantern but I had to give that up a coupla years ago. Every time I got out to my spot, I'd go to light the **** thing and the mantles would be broken. Got tired of that really fast. But you're right. Somedays, it's all the heat you need out there. Someday, someone is going to invent some hard ceramic mantles that won't break all of the time. Then, I'll go back to carrying it. The items I could not live without would be fresh active minnows and Gamakatsu #4 Walleye Wide Gap hooks. (and hot coffee in the Thermos).....T

I'd have to say my blue LED light for charging glow jigs..and my HUGE, (I think it's a liter grin.gif ) spillproof, .....since I usually knock it over at least 3 or 4 times while in the fishtrap, insulated mug for those Crown presses that seem to taste Soooooo good when stirred with slimey fishy fingers.

I would have to say my Gerber that can do almost anything its great! I cant count how many times I have cut stuff, loosened or tightened something, or or had to use it to get a lure or of that fishies mouth.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

TBone, I hear you on the mantels..Man they can be pretty pesky.
Everyone down plays all those minute things that they bring along with them for a vexilar, auger, etc. The biggest thing has to be a Gerber/Leatherman. I mean that thing is so verstile that you can do everything with it. That's just my 2cents.
As for matches, no doubt. But what is the best way to keep those things dry? I normally use baggy's but they seem to rip everytime I take them in/out of my pocket.
Any advise?