• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent

Deitz Dittrich

How many of you use scent to up your odds while ice fishing... as a bass angler I use scent a lot during the year and I know that as water gets colder it gets more dence, which makes scent even more important. I just have always used bait during the winter months to up my odds... Have any of you used scented plastic or spray scent while ice fishing?

I have used some crappie nibbles for ice fishing and it seemed to help a little not enough to really notice.
I'm kinda curious if anybody has had alot better luck using scent.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

I've never used scented baits during the winter. I have heard of people using power baits. Power grubs and power trout nuggets to be exact. So say they work quite well at times.
I think this year I'll have to try some of them.

------------------
Study to be quite

Hi all:

I use scents all year and I swear by them. Here is how I look at it: they cannot hurt, but conversely, if you have anything on your hands (gas, oil, soap, etc..) which is not a natural, 'fishy' smell, you are just asking for fewer bites- if nothing else, the scent will cover up any unnatural odor you may unwittingly give your lure/bait. Years ago in the summer I found a huge difference in Smallmouth fishing w/ scents, and I have stuck with them ever since.

-Mike

I've used Berkely Power Bait in the past but never spray or dipping scents. Most of the scent I like to keep natural by using maggots and minnows. But hey, if something works I'd be willing to give it a try.

Good Fishin, Matt.

ExudeDude: I've found scented baits to work better during the summer months, however, scented plastics, etc. can put an extra lake trout or two on the ice. Also, many years ago, I was ice fishing crappies on Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls, and did better than most when I dipped my crappie minnow offering into a small container of "Lunker Lotion", the scent created mainly for summertime bass fishermen! I'm sure you're familiar with it. GC

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm

I think scent is very important for winter panfishing. If I don't have livebait like eurolarvae or minnows then I'll use Berkely Power Nibbles. The Power Wigglers don't seem to dissolve & give off as much scent as the Nibbles, but they'll work too. I think the Nibbles perform just as well as live bait at times. I always take a jar with me for backup. Try a test on the ice & see what you think. I can usually tell when I've lost my bait, because the fish won't bite. Vern

Vern: You reminded me of a time when I was fishing with Dave Genz, Denny Clark, and some others. The fish were extremely negative and didn't really want anything until I dropped down some pink "Crappie Nibbles". Needless-to-say, we spent the rest of the afternoon throwing a jaw of "Crappie Nibbles" to one another. Also had white "Nibbles" but pink was the hot color. Before that, we tried maggots, waxies, crappie minnows, pieces of minnows, and artificial baits with very low success.
Greg C.

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm

Good story Greg. I have experienced that a few times myself. I like a variety of live baits, but I always take a jar of Power Nibbles with me. There's no doubt about their effectiveness. Great back-up bait if nothing else. Vern

S[eaking of Crappie Nibbles.....

I played a little this summer w/ them - found them to be about equal to crawlers on the particular day I tryed them for sunnies. The jar I happened to have was white ones.

Greg C. mentioned using pink ones. The question which comes to mind is which other colors - being as there are gobs of them - which ones would form a good basic "stock" to carry when on the ice?

Also - regarding scents - was reading a book this fall on fishing for panski's - the author recommended using oatmeal as bedding for your waxworms (vs the wood chips they come in at the bait shops), and having the oatmeal treated with X number of drops of what I am going to call Brand X scent.

I say Brand X, cause this book had a late 70's - early 80's publish date, and I've not been able to track down the scent company name via the web or phone listings.

Of this Brand X scent - he recommended like 50-100 drops applied in 10 drop increments.
Once the scent is added to the oatmeal - add the waxies and let them do their thing in the oatmeal.

I picked up some Dr Juice panfish scent at Cabela's - am going to try the oatmeal bedding idea this winter. I will post my results when I have them.

UG

In the 2--3 catalog for MisterTwister they came out with a product called ERUPT. its more of a paste than the Berkley power nibblet things... Supposely when it hits water it crackles and gives off scent.. I can't wait to give this stuff a try..

Sound and Scent! possibly sounds like a good combination.. however, they are marketing it as a trout bait.. will let you know if it works.!