• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Registration stickers wont stick???

Heres what I sent to DNR,,,,and their reply, confused.gif can anyone help with a sencible alternative!!

I just purchased,registered and lisenced a polypropelene Kayak,the matte finish on tha

kayak wont hold the 09 sticker!! I've cleaned the area with numerious cleaners!However I

cant it to adhere,I know if I ran it through reeds the sticker will not stay on!! WHAT

SHOULD I DO??

If the decals will not stick to the kayak because of the material the boat is made of, I

would put the decals on a plate and then hang the plates on the sides of the kayak. confused.gifconfused.gif

Sincerely,

John Nordby

MN DNR License Center

denatured alcohol,enamel reducer,MEK.the poly seems almost slick,it kinda has a orange peel texture.So only 60-70% will actually stick but it does'nt! Those stickers on my boats take time and care to remove there hard to remove! confused.gif

I've had difficulty with the stickers sticking to my polystyrene canoe. There responses were always the same too. I would consider trying to glue something to the boat as a backer and then stick the sticker to that. Otherwise you can find a way to mount them somewhere else on the boat. Having them on there somewhere is better than nothing.

I'm having the same problem with my kayak. I might use something like an iron to try and smooth out the bumps before applying my next set of tags. But, I kind of wish someone else would try it first. My registration is good for another year. I'll probably try clear tape with my current tags, but don't think that will be a complete fix.

I've been doing a lot of checking!! I found that some kayak canoe materials Like my polypropolene,are like dashboard materials on vechiles,the film on winshield??If ya know about that.They release(evaporate)some chemicals for years,untill they get brittle and start to lose integraity!! Looks like a pannel of some sort affixed to kayak,just to hold liscense!! I had no intention of altering my NEW YAK just for that! I tried packing tape,NO GO.I'm still thinkin,I really dont want to start drillin holes but I may have to! My lisc. is good till 09 and if I remove it now will it stick to a plate??Or will I have to spend again for dup.sticker?? confused.giffrown.gif

Sparcebag, this isn't a solution to get it to stick but if it were me, I'd just fold the sticker over and put it in my wallet. If I get checked, I'd tell the officer that I can't seem to get it to stick to the kayak and I'm not going to drill holes in my new kayak just to be able to display it. The few contacts I've had with C.O.'s makes me think that they're pretty reasonable people.

Scotch makes a "clear" duct tape. It looks frosty on the roll, but when you put it over the license and kayak it is fairly clear and difficult to see the tape over 10 feet away. The license is still easy to see. I put the tape over my stickers, and I think it is better than doing nothing. It's only been out on the river one time with the tape, but it was sitting on my car during a downpour and also rinsed pretty hard with the hose. Before putting down the tape I cleaned the license and surrounding area with rubbing alcohol. Not sure if I would buy this tape just for this purpose, it might be cheaper to get replacement stickers. We had it on hand, so I used it.

The best option is Gorilla Glue, this stuff bonds ANYTHING to ANYTHING will set you back @ $7 at WalMart so glue the stickers to the canoe or glue something flat to the canoe and glue the stickers to that. Honestly Gorilla Glue is the best adhesive ever.

Gorilla is good stuff for wood,I've tried it on a tackle box lock DID'NT work! the part broke first time I used it 2 days later.Wood work was my main purpose but all the hype about it thought I'd try it! NO_GO!!

I agree with Powerstroke. See if you can adhere it to part of the inside of the canoe. Maybe a wood seat?

For my portable fish houses I laminated the license, punched a hole in it, and then connected it to my fish houses with a clasp/clamp temporarily. I was checked by different numerous different DNR officials, inlcluding one in the north metro who writes LOTS of tickets, and all of them said they had no problem with my method.

Applying it where it is not visable for a CO to view from a distance might get you into a little trouble aka a ticket. I know guys that have sweet looking wood strip canoes that hate the thought of marring up thier masterpiece with an ugly sticker, after inquiring about putting it on the inside, they were warned by the DNR to not do so or they could get fined.

The clear Scotch duct tape is holding up well after a half dozen outings. Much better than not doing anything; I'd have lost one by now. My homemade outriggers are attached with regular duct tape, and that has held up well all season.