• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree stand vs. ground blind

Does anyone have any thoughts on the two types of hunting?

I have used both, I hate my ground blind (dog house style) because it is nearly impossible to put back together in the dark. No matter how often you practice.

I understand their are some new pop-up tent style -- that sounds like it would work nicely.

I also worry about being on the ground smell (me) and other hunters ((Contact Us Please) or poachers)

Any thoughts?

I am thinking about a getting the new ground blind but just not sure. I don't want it to sit in the garage next to the other one.

I have two ground blinds and use them in areas where I dont have another option. I have no problem using a ground blind at all. The only thing I personally dislike about them is it seems to cut my viweing area down versus being 15-20 ft in a tree.

Many times we all get caught up in buying the lessor in cost and dont end up with the good value. Double Bull blinds are the cats meow in blinds. Yes, you can set these up in the dark and take them down also.

I always brush these ground blinds in, watch the wind for my scent and also wear all the scent control items I own.

I help guide for a handi-capped hunt every year and this is the way they hunt as they cannot get up those trees. Many archers will tag a deer if everything is done correctly.

They do work.

Double Bull is top of the line. No doubt. But I have a Ground Max Escape Deluxe that I really like. Can open and close the windows silently from the inside as needed. It sets up easy and takes down that way as well. I would try and leave it up all the time if you could on private land. That's my preferred method. Deer get used to it and its a quick and quiet option for an after work hunt.

The limited visibility is the major downfall as Harvey mentions. I have been considering building a short platform under one of my blinds to gain visibility and try this out. You couldn't go too high, however, or it would limit close shots for archery.

Good advice so far. If you are debating on which one to use, a tree stand will outperform a ground blind hands down almost always. I use both and will only use the blind when there is no other option. Your field of view and your ability to move is much better in a tree stand...not to mention you ability to get your scent stream above he deers ability to sniff you out. Also, in low light, it is much more difficult to see your sights in low light (in a ground blind). Blinds have their functional purpose and should be used, however, if the situation would call for both, a tree stand wins hands down. I also concur with DB blinds, they are great. Invest the money if you can. There are many other great blinds on the market however, as other have described. Good luck!