• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antique ice fishing tackle.....

Dan97

Howdy All...

I recently found a piece of ice fishing gear from days gone by. Has anyone out there ever heard of "The Clipper"? It's a ice fisherman's minnow pail that's heated with a small oil lamp. The markings say that it was made by E.L. Walstedt & Co. in Minneapolis.

If anyone has any info on this item or can direct me to someone that might, please drop me an email at the address below.

Thanks......Dan

------------------
[email protected]

I haven't heard of the Clipper but I have some old reels that were my grandpa's when he was younger. My mom gave them to me a few years back. One is an Abu-Garcia, all of them are baitcaster models of some sort. I also was given a old tackle box of grandpa's thats full of old lures. Haven't really though about selling them because of sentimental value but just curious if there is place where these items can be valued at. Some of the lures are made of wood, kinda cool.

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5
If you're not in a pinch for cash...keep your grandfathers old tackle. It's worth more to the mind than the pocket.

For a general estimate of what your old lures and reels are worth, e bay is a good start but you have to know what lures you have first and if you're not familiar with the old lures, it's easy to get confused as there are so many of them out there (original and counterfiet) to look at.
A good reference guide is a book by author ...Carl F. Luckey called "OLD FISHING LURES & TACKLE".
It's got just about everything you'll need to determine what lures you have and what they're worth.
It's a great book for buyers, sellers and collectors.
The newest edition costs about $29.95 but it's worth a million in information.
On occassions, you can find these books and others from different authors at Barnes & Noble or Borders book stores for a lot less money.

If you have any pictures of the lures, I should be able to identify them for you and give you a rouhg idea of their worth and when they were made and by whom.
Nice stuff to learn abut and know.

CD
It could be made by "Phillips & Sons" Fly and Lure Company in Alexandria Pennsylvania.
The reel could be the beeter piece as far as value goes because the rod isn't too old as far as rods go but there'* always someone looking for a specific rod / reel / lure even if it'* not highly collectible.
Pefrect example is all these guys going crazy on e bay and paying as much as $60 bucks for an old style Thunderstick Jr.
Get the info on the reel and a description of both rod and reel and I should be able to pin it down for you.

Dan I have the identical minnow pail it was my granfathers also I keep it in my home office as a keepsake along with some other fishing artifacts that once belonged to him they all bring back fond memories of a time gone past

TONY ON ICE,
I don't plan on selling them, just curious to what their worth is. They've been in the family for a while so they are more of a keep sake then a priced item. Thanks for the info.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Dan97 I also have one of those that I bought at a yard sale a few years ago for for $2. I do not know what they are worth but I only know of one other person that has one and have never seen any others like it.

Tony on Ice-

Any idea what a Philipson Dry Fly Special fly rod has any value or not? Has an automatic reel too, but I forgot the name of the reel.
My grandfather gave this to me shortly before his death and wanted me to pass it on to my grandchild (many years to go!). It's mint and never used...plastic on the cork handle yet.
I'm looking for more info on this rod/reel. All I know it was purchased in the 50's. I'll have to locate that book you mentioned, but I live no where near a Barnes and Noble bookstore. Thanks

TONY ON ICE-
Nope, it is a "Philipson Pacemaker Dry Fly Special". That is the manufacturer and model. I found some that are similiar on hsolist, and that is the manufacturer...maybe out of Colorado?

Just curious if you can find it anywhere in a book. I forgot to look at the reel.

You guys got me curious so I took a look at my grandpa's fishing stuff that I have and the only date I found was on something called the Johnson's silver minnow, with the patent date on it August 28 1923. I am semicurious if that is worth something.

Ely lake expert