• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Reliable!?!

cubbies11

Just wondering what everyones favorite ice fishing lure is that they would throw on if they could only fish one lure all the time? For any species of fish. Mine would be a fat boy with three spikes on it.

Cubbies

I would have to say that it would be a toss up between the marmooska and a jigging rap(clown color) the marmooska is a great jig its small but weighs enough to get you back in the action quickly and they show up great on flashers.Metro

# 1 or # 2 chrome willow blade with a # 6 or 8 hook soldered on.
No paint.

I do have a real favorite, all purpose, catch all jig but I can't mention it here.
The silver willows catch everything that swims though.

It's amazing to think back about 20 years ago and how limited a selection of icefishing jigs were available to us but still, we caught just as many fish then as we do now.
Just a little more comfortable these days. Makes you wonder if we waste too much time looking for the magic jig when we know that this old stuff still works just as good as it did back in the day.
Take away all the fancy custom jigs of today and just using the old standby tactics of the past but add the Vexilar to the mix and those old timers would have kicked our butts every day......some of them still do......without electrnoics !
Marketing is a powerful tool !

when you buy a lure its already caught what it was intended to ...YOU!! I'm not quite an old timer , maybe a middle timer but I have been doing this a long time and I'll take the newer stuff hands down. I think lures go in cycles and catch a given # of fish and the when all the fish that will strike that are gone in comes another lure that will go through a # of fish that will strike that lure and on and on it goes.metro

In the "old days" there were far fewer fishermen and far more fish. Speed and mobility (sleds and power augers) were'nt as readily availiable as well as the portable speed shacks of today. One more point, all things being equal a fisher with a Vex. will ALWAYS do better than one without. Again, all things being equal.

I guess if I had to pick just one lure or jig it would be a blue/white glow-in-the-dark jig in about 1/16 oz. so it's not too small for the walleyes, but it's small enough for the crappies. Then I'd tip it with a lively fathead minnow hooked through the tail. Can't wait for that ice!!!

1/32oz. plain round head jig with a thin wire mustad hook size 8 and a size 6 finesse plastic glow tail for Blue Gills and Sunfish and negative crappies.

3 dot glow bug by Tony on Ice, tipped with a small crappie minnow or spikes for aggressive crappies

Jigging raps for the perch the smallest size and the next one up in natural perch or firetigers for aggressive perch.

Neutral perch I like Blu/nickle shearwater thumpers and size 10 glow/orange rat finkees.

Negative would be a size 12 marmooska orange, black and white.

It is hard to get it down to just one.... bare hook. Slo-poke jig, Demon jig... but I would have to pick a silver Swedish Pimple with the chart strip. Size 3, 4, or 5. I usually use a dropper with these on a dead stick. If the fish are picky, a couple of waxys or a minnow head. A whole, tail hooked minnow if they are a little more interested.
I try to let the fish show the way. I find it hard to convince the fish that my favorite lure should be theirs. wink.gif That "can't miss" lure that caught me and my wallet doesn't get the fish near as excited as I get!!
-nunzio

For me it would have to be a lure that I don't consider the BEST for any one species but, this lure will catch everything that swims. The good ol' kastmaster in blue and silver with a spike on each hook...and if I could cheat and bring another I would agree with the above post and grab the pimple in chart/silver!