• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grumpy Old Men

IcePro

I have just finshed watching Grumpy Old Men for the 100th time.

Why can't we be ice fishing and driving on the lakes before Thanksgiving like they do in the movie? This would be a great if this really happed in Minnesota. No wonder people think we live in the tundra.

Does anyone have any comments about this "Classic" it would be great to hear them.

Classic is right! You know every time I watch that flick it reminds me of my grandpa telling ice fishing stories and showing me pictures from the good ol' fishing trips up in SD on the river. One story comes to mind back in the 40's he and two friends went up there on the river ice fishing and one guy had never been there. As they went out on the ice they told the newbee to always walk with the spud bar like a T against your body under your arms in case you hit a spot the current had worn thin. Well the newbee decides to go spud a new hole and was careful to follow directions by holding the spud properly...sure enough he went through like a rock and the spud bar stopped him from going completely through. So gramps and his friend go pick the poor frozen newbee up by each grabbing a side of the spud. Now this is the same grandpa who said to me once "Don't be the first to venture out on new ice, you have the rest of your life to ice fish so don't risk it on thin ice"

The previous story told by a "grandpa" so Believe it or Not!

One day I decided to take my son and a friend of his out to Lake Rebecca and do a little ice fishing. We threw the 6x8 suitcase portable up ontop of the wagon and rolled out there. Much to my suprise, there were about six pickups out there on the lake plowing it off like a dang parking lot. On the way in there, there were flatbed semi trucks unloading Lake Mille Lacs rental houses-some were from Myr Mar resort. I figured it was ok to drive out there myself and did just that. I drilled four holes and set up the shack and we began to fish. Not too much time had passed when there was someone at the door. It was the county mountie telling me I could not drive on the lake since it was a county park and no motorized traffic was allowed out there. (I thought it only applied to watercraft) I asked him why I had to leave when there were a half dozen trucks out there plowing and also what the heck that was all about. That's when I found out it was to be a movie set. As it turned out, Grumpy Old Men was filmed there on that spot. My only regret was that I missed drooling over Ann Margret. And trust me on this one, I really don't think there's a walleye that big in that lake. But maybe there's at least one now!...T

I have both of the Grumpy Old Men movies and I can't count how many times I have watched them.

There will never be actors like, Jack, Walter or Burgess again.

In the old days I think we had more fun ice fishing.

My dad, his good friend and myself would go, a lot of the time we had to walk to where we were going and carried all of our Sticks, chisel and ice scoop in a old golf bag.

When could drive out, there would be groups of people fishing outside and if fishing got slow, there was a lot of socializing going on.

I'm sure, just before freeze up, I will watch Grumpy Old Men again, they are both classics as far as I am concerned.

TBone, actually there are some giant walleyes in there. When that swimmer got attacked by that killer Musky in the swimming beach with the barriers around it, when they went in there to capture that evil esox, they also found 2 walleyes in there that were around nine pounds each!

Does anyone know what lake they did grumpy 2 on? I would like to do battle with "Catfish Hunter" wink.gif

Cyb

ICEPRO
T-BONE is right on the movie set. I happened to be an extra in that movie because of the way I was dressed, all plaid wool with the Elmer Fudd wool hat on. Lake R. was the set, just out of town from Rockford. I was just a flash in that movie two shanties away. Have an autograph vhs of the movie with Walter M. autograph. It is too **** bad that both Walter M. and Jack L. had to pass on. They worked well together! Lots of laughs.

This is truely a Minnesota movie. It was filmed on Lake Rebecca, The church was in Center City, Slippers was a bar in St. Paul and the city scenes were shot in Wabasha.

Every time I am in Center City with someone ice fishing I have to take them by the church. They get a hoot out of seeing where part of the movie was made.

Does any one know the actual name of the bar in St. Paul, I heard that it has a basement with a dirt floor and people play bocce ball down there.

Whenever I watch that movie all I want to do is ice fish so watching it in the summer can be painful. Always a good time when I'm on the ice. Fun movie.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I'm a brand new poster, although I've been reading you guys for a little while . . . I've got an answer to the question about the bar in St. Paul with the Bocce in the basement . . it's called Halftime Rec . . . and it is Bar-none the coolest bar in the metro area

Does anyone have the address of the Halftime Rec bar? I think it would be a great place to get everyone togther and share some stories. Once the location is confirmed is anyone game to get together?

Grumpy Old Men is my favorite also. Those two were my favorite actors of all time! I live in Missouri, I have never been ice fishing, yet everytime I watch that movie I feel as though I am missing something Great! Maybe some day I will make it up there to fish the hard water, we really lost a super pair when those two past on. I hope all you hard water fisherman have a Great year on the ice. Take Care & Good Fishing!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

BarryG,
As IcePro said,
let us know when you'd like to try. We'd love to help you get a firsthand experience ice fishing.

Ahhh Grumpy old men. Lemon and Mathau are classics. They always got me rolling on the floor.

Now that movie is a real classic ices_lol_ani.gif . I have watched both of them over and over and somethings still are funny lol2.gif .
Walter and Jack have to be the two best people for that part, they gave me lots and lots of laughs!

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-06-2002).]