• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you have to fertilize a lawn?

OakdaleFMR

We have two large ponds behind our house that have become 1/2 covered with green algae. I have always fertilized four times a season using no phosphorus fertilizer. However this year I wanted to try and see if we could clear up the clarity and as such I have not fertilized and I have allowed the vegetation around the pond to overgrow. No change in water algae, but my lawn is still green without it. I just don't want my lawn to die over the winter because I didn't fertilize it. What does everyone think?

You can have a soil test done which will let you know if your lawn is in need of certian nutrients and the test results will tell you what fertilizer to get. You can have the test done at a co-op and its inexpensive.

As far as the algea problem...you can look into puting a product called cutrine-plus in the pond which works great. (you may have to get a dnr permit).

There's a company called Blue Water Science in the cities that uses Barley straw to clean up the algae in smaller ponds.

As for fertilizing your yard, personally, I usually only run my accounts with 3 rounds. Once in the spring, and then 2 in the fall.

I have a hard time fertilizing this time of year, since 1/2 the properties I maintain aren't irrigated. The fertilizer isn't going to do much with no rain this time of year.

You'll not notice much of a difference this year, but if you didn't fertilize over multiple years, you'd notice the difference.

The U of M recommends 2 fall fertilizings if that's all you're going to do for the year.

Thank you for the information. I have been watering the lawn so it is green and healthy looking. Found a store close that does the soil testing so going to have that done, and then go with two fall applications. I like the barley option for the pond. Going to get that setup. Have a great Fourth of July.