• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer strap down question

Slowfinger

I would imagine using the frame would be the preference when strapping down the ATV, but if I strap it down using the racks, is it a really bad idea? I need to do this as I'm unable to get the right strap angle on the frame with the extra junk my bro-n-law wants to bring to his place...thanks!

Quote:

weather you strap to the frame or the rack aren't you still putting a load on the suspension?
confused.gif

When people talk "frame", they're likely referring to places below the suspension, like the rear hitch or front A-arms so, no, the suspension wouldn't be "compressed".

I agree with Dave. I tie to the frame below the suspension and then to the racks to keep it from bouncing. I see plenty of em going down the road with straps to only the racks and I prefer to do it as I do. It's a little more work, but It makes me feel better about trailering my ATV. wink.gif

When I trailer our ATV's I use a cris crossing pattern. I tie from the back of the wheeler(hitch area) to the front of the trailer and from the front of the wheeler(plow mounting plate) to the back of the trailer. I have trailered 1000's of miles like this and have had no trouble. Like Cold one said a little more work, but it's the best way I have found to do it.

I have strapped them down both ways and combined them as well. Could never tell a difference. Now that I carry them up high I put three straps on them normally. One on each rack and then one on the frame underbody.

Friends of mine do the frame only, me and others I know do the racks to tighten the suspension. My dad was a long haul trucker for over 30 years and hauled a lot of farm equipment. Predominent place he always chained was to the axles of tractors until the tires buckled a little. He only lost two loads ever and they were severe enough where nothing was left, so the frame seems ok as well.