• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude 90 hp

hoggsback

Anyone heard of disconnecting the VRO on the motor? I heard these units can go out and by the time you discover this, the motor seizes. Anyone have experience with this? Good idea or not? I would have to mix my fuel in the tank, but I have external tanks anyway.

I think doing away with the system your talking about was quite common. I have a 1982 90 HP. This year still had to have the oil mixed with the gas. I remember seeing a lot of shelled out engines with the system your talking about was popular.I am not sure what you do other than just add oil to the gas! Good luck. jps

I'm not sure. A few of the model #'s and serial #'s are unreadable. Something scraped through them and I can't read it. I've looked elsewhere for the model # but can't find it. Did they stamp it inside the cover anywhere?

Thanks for the thread. I had searched the site but no luck.

I've got an '84 90 HP Evinrude and still use the VRO. I have heard of these problems though and sometimes wonder about it.

I decided that if it's going to fail after 23 years then so be it. Runs like a champ and I'm not going to mess with it.