• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RedTop video

Roofer

I hope posting this doesn't bother anyone. It was a great day and even nicer people. Not to take away from the guys, but the girls impressed me with the way they participated. Everyone was real easy to get along with. Thanks again to everybody and to LEP for taking the steps to make it happen. It seemed to me that everyone was happy just to get out and ride. There was no problems, no injusries, no whining....it was a good day.

I didn't take out my helmet cam because of all the dust, so I used the little video and pictures I had.

Enjoy.

RedTop Video

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I didn't ask everyone what there name on here was. I want to get an idea of who was who.

Please post who you were from the video or from what you remember.

I was the guy on the silver/mud color brute force with the GF who fell off on the Ten Bruin. LOL laugh.gif

I was the guy with the blue raptor, the only one that needed to be pulled out.

The other 4 with me arent fmers, there names were dan, dan, zach, my daughter monica, myself, scott.

I'm Cliff. I rode a Polaris. I recall the brown water that seemed to pause above the young guy's head then drench him. It's in the video, he's wearing sunglasses and riding a silver Raptor. He was one of Scott's crew. I'm glad I was one of the group.

Quote:

I'm Cliff. I rode a Polaris. I recall the brown water that seemed to pause above the young guy's head then drench him. It's in the video, he's wearing sunglasses and riding a silver Raptor. He was one of Scott's crew. I'm glad I was one of the group.

Were you the guy who left a little earlier in the day? If so, you missed a much better water hole that is pictured at the end of the video.

Yes, that was Cliff that had to leave early. That water hole is pretty much what the sink hole used to be. But like I said earlier in the day, I saw one Rincon get towed out of Red Top and I wasn't about to make it 2. I'm almost certain that's where he met his fate.

Augusta,

glad to hear your daughter had fun. I found it very impressive how well she did and didn't seem to be intimidated by the Ten Bruin. Especially considering some of the uphill/downhill ruts.

I agree LEP that it was about as deep as the sink hole used to be. the newer bigger machines just made it look easier, except the guy on the cannedham that tried just blasting through.

I was just looking at some video from 2000 and 2001 of the sinkhole and it used to be ALOT bigger. Maybe I will post a few bits of it to show the difference.

The guy on the dead rinny must have flipped it over on that ledge in the water. Going too fast and not using his brain. Even that camo Sp800 did a few funny things in that hole.

jake,

after a quick glance at the DNR site for the Redtop trail map, it doesn't list the water hole in question as part of the trail, but nor does it list the sink hole as part of the trail. There is a trail that goes around the sink hole. So, are you implying that people should stay out of the sinkhole?

It's obviously no secret that people have been using this water hole for their enjoyment for the past 7+ years (since I began riding the Redtop).

Personally, either water hole has had its share of activity in the last 7+ years. If this was a concern with the county commissioners, trail administrator, or the club that does the maintenance on Redtop, I would expect that both water holes would be closed fenced off, and clearly marked that no ATV traffic is permissible in either location.

Its obsticals such as these that bring people to these trails. Without them, there would be far less people on these trails. If the local atv club doesnt want these water holes to be riden in, they should be posted as such.

If these spots were clearly marked for non use, we would not have riden in them. So if these are areas that shouldnt be riden in the clubs should post that. To me it looks like the trail has an option of taking the water holes, or driving around.

There are many trails in mn, and wisconsin just like this spot you are talking about, and I know a few of the club members and they play in the holes them selves. If they are connected to the main trail and not marked to stay off, and are publicly known as a mud hole then I dont see the problem.

jakewild,

Are you a member of this atv club? If so is this topic that is being brought up as a problem on this trail?

Im just wondering. If your not I will do some investigating and contact the club to find out.

What I believe about the Sink Hole, it is a designated spot for ATVs. It use to be deep and muddy. Now, it's basically passable in 2WD since a rock base was added.

The water hole in question, that your last photos depic, is on a corner right alongside the Red Top trail. I don't recall the Gate # by it and looked at the map this morning myself to try and identify the location. I don't recall any signs stating to stay out of these areas.

I went through almost all of that hole in a couple passes through. Wish I had that on video. It was the funnest part. Anyways, that hole was made to use. It was definitely lined with rock. It was just alot deeeeper.

I agree with the above posts. It is rather obvious the area in question was "man made" and if Atv's were not allowed in there, the DNR or the Open Trails Atv club which maintains the Red Top would have it closed off and signs would be posted. This area is almost identical to the "sinkhole area". As Lep mentioned in his post, this area has been open for several years now and has been used by atvs for that same amount of time. And Jake, as you clearly knew where this area was at ("Gate #7), I think you know this as well as the rest of us do. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

No it wasnt our group.

Like I said, it looks to me like the trail gives you the option, like a fork in the road. These spots have been maintained and if they didnt want us there they would post it, or block it off, like in many spots on the trails. If these spots have been there for many years and havent been marked off, I would claim them as fair game!

The sign says something something 1. It is a trail marker with a yellow caution sign on the other side.

That was not our group, but we did pass the trail groomer people on the way out just before the Ten Bruin trail.

Legal or not, if ATV's are not allowed in this water hole, there has been suffucient time for either Open Trails (who I'd like to thank for all of their hard work on the trails), DNR Enforcement, or the Trail Administrator to have this area posted or barricaded so nobody can access it. There could have been at least 100 tickets written on Saturday alone if we're not allowed in this area. Because the majority of the machines that were on the trails that day, were in that water hole.

Jake,

I don't want you to think that anyone here is trying to be confrontational with you. All things considered, we all believe that having been there this past weekend, this is a designated riding area. Maybe there needs to be more clarification on it. Maybe the water hole needs to be closed. If everyone in our group on Saturday realized or understood they weren't allowed in there, I assure you, they wouldn't have gone in. The trail markers didn't provide enough info to make that decision. Not to mention that the trail markers that are out there, are posted by obvious mud bogs.

Guys, the Sink Hole is part of the Red Top trail. Years ago, riders use to ride that bottomless hole (no rock bottom) plus all around it. It was kind of a mess years ago. There's one bypass trail around Sink Hole and everything else around the Sink Hole is off limits and, last I saw, blocked off. Last time for me and my sons, riders were respecting the block off'd areas along the trail and were staying out.

I agree with both Daves here. If it was closed off we would noty have gone in there. Yes, I did notice that most people followed the rules. Except the little kids in other groups with no helmets and theRhino out there. These are bigger concerns that driving through a rock lined man made pond.

Anyways, it seems some people can't handle the site of water, so it's gone.

If anyone wants to confront me about this, let me know.

I think to clarify, jakewild asked about the last part, the still shots of the video. I believe that's the water that's in question to jakewild. Not the rock lined bottom Sink Hole. I wasn't there last weekend, so I can't say if there's a "Stay On Trail" sign at THAT specific location.

Roofer, I don't believe any one is "confronting" here...jakewild is asking for clarification on that spot.