• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop Question?

birdswacker

I have a 1996 Johnson 88hp the prop numbers are 14x17. I know the pitch is 17 which pulls the boat out of the water? What the 14 number? Looking at getting a new prop as lake coditions are low. The one I found is a 13.25x17 what differences will this make compared to the 14x17?

Max RPM (or, where you want it to run) is 5500 RPM. Where are you at with respect to that? That would be at the max performance - trimmed out just before it porposises at full throttle.

marine_man

Motors running at 5000rpm and 43mph. Looked all over the motor to see if I could find a tag or something for max rpm but can't find one. Is 5500rpm just a rule of thumb or should I be talking to a johnson service guy to find the max?

You won't find a tag on this motor for Max RPM. I believe Mercury is the only one who puts max rpm on the engine s/n tag.

There is no rule of thumb for max rpm on a motor.. they all vary depending on the make, hp, etc. I believe the range is actually 5000-5500 RPM on your motor, but for best performance you're best off around 5500 RPM.

marine_man