• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flirting with the rain

I had photo excursion clients out today. They did most of the shooting, but I got in a few licks of my own. grin.gif

We had a heavy dew last night, and it started to pour about 5 p.m., but we started this morning at 4:30 a.m. and finished just in time to dodge raindrops.

Anglers on Low Lake, out the Cloquet Line from Ely

Canon 30D, Canon 100-400L IS @ 310mm, iso400, 1/400 @ f8, evaluative metering, handheld

anglers.jpg

Juvenile northern Saw-whet owl fallen from the nesting cavity. Tonight's dinner for a hungry fox. Ed Shave Lake.

Canon 30D, Canon 100-400L IS @ 210mm, iso400, 1/160 @ f8, evaluative metering, handheld

Saw-whet.jpg

Rainy day bunchberries

Canon 30D, Canon 100 macro, iso100, 1/6 @ f18, manfrotto ballhead tripod, remote shutter release, mirror lockup, evaluative metering -2/3 exposure compensation

rainy-day-buncherries.jpg

Rain in the corners

Canon 30D, Canon 100 macro, 20mm Kenko extension tube, iso100, 1/6 @f22, manfrotto ballhead tripod, remote shutter release, mirror lockup, evaluative metering -2/3 exposure compensation

tight-raindrops.jpg

That cute little owl almost looks like a stuffed toy. I love it. I'm also glad to see you got some much needed rain up there. According to my weather site, Ely got around 3 1/2 inches. Does that sound about right?

XT, that does sound about right, and we got some more today.

Polar, just go to my Web site and check the prices on other animal/bird images, which are based on size. If you'd like to order one, shoot me an e-mail and let me know.

Got more flowers today, too. Went to a spot where small yellow ladyslippers bloom, and found them. They are very uncommon in the NE Minn boreal forest, so it was cool. Couldn't find the ram's head ladyslippers, though, which I was able to find two years ago.

Hey flyingcarp, welcome to FM. Great to have you here. grin.gif

Mrs. Catfish and I went out yesterday afternoon looking for the owl again and found no sign. Out in the wilds (and, well, anywhere you are), dinner is where you find it.

Paul, within a couple weeks, I'll be the only photographer showing his work for sale at Grand Superior Lodge, about 10 miles up the North Shore from Two Harbors. Shiner made that happen. He'd seen my work here, been dissatisfied with what art there was at GSL and e-mailed an inquiry. We met, and the show is the result.

It will be starting fairly small, with 15-20 images right away, all framed, matted and signed, and will get larger as the summer progresses.

GSL is a high-end resort/lodge, with a ton of traffic, and this showing will be a big deal to me. Up until now, my four or five shows have been as part of group shows or as my own but in smaller venues.

Quote:

Congratulations Steve! That is indeed a big deal. I am sure that once they saw your work, it was an easy decision.

Took the words right out of my mouth. A couple weeks ago I showed the buyer at Itasca State Park, some of my scrollsawn artwork and picked up a sizeable order. I understand Itasca is the most visited park in the state, so I was very thrilled. I just hope it sells as well as she expects it to. This is a very good feeling. I just wish I had Steve's talent as a photographer too.

Once again Steve, congratulations. Big-Thumbs-Up.gif I'm going to make a point of stopping in there next month while I'm on vacation in Duluth. I'd love to see some of your actual prints.