• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bemidji area wildflowers and morels

Here are a few images from the past weekend's visit to the lake cabin near Bemidji. The columbine, of course, are everywhere, and the rain popped out some late morels. The yellow ladyslippers bloom right near the road on the private property of a VERY protective landowner near our cabin. Good thing she's so adamant, too, or I bet they'd get picked in a heartbeat. We had some showy ladyslippers several years ago blooming along the cabin road on Beltrami, and I went out the next day to photograph them only to find they'd been snipped off. Grrrrrrr!

There were many other wildflowers blooming, but between the wedding shoot I had (the whole reason for the trip in the first place) and the family reunion that cropped up after the fact, there was little time for photographing in the woods.

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 100 macro at iso200 and various shutter speeds/apertures, handheld

columbine-plethora.jpg

morel-alone.jpg

yellow-ls-alone.jpg

yellow-ls-entwined.jpg

Thanks, Dan. Those are my two faves, too.

The Canon 100 macro IS the real deal. All it lacks for "L" designation is the build, and the build is pretty solid as it is. At between $400 and $500, it is underpriced in my estimation. Image quality is excellent, sharp and full of contrast and color saturation. It also works nicely as in indoor sports lens. It lacks IS, but the f2.8 max aperture is sweet, and it focuses like lightning. I'll be using it for indoor band photography, too.

MM, I have borrowed the 180. It is totally as sharp as the 100, and has a longer working distance and a stronger build. And the tripod mounting ring comes with the lens. On the 100, you gotta spend another $150 or so for the ring. Sheesh! mad.gif

If you don't need the extra working distance, which can occasionally be important to insect shooters, the 100 has all the image quality of the 180, although with less power it has less of a compression factor, so the background bokeh is a bit less rich.

Very nice Steve!....I like em all but that last one is my favorite!...I've yet to ever see a yellow lady slipper! shocked.gif...pinks yes but no yellows!....someday grin.gif...surprised to see the columbines blooming this early(haven't been to my favorite patch yet along with lupines)...