• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat wont steer straight

mrjigger

I have a crestliner boat with a 175 VMAX on it. I have troubles getting the boat to steer straight when driving slow. Really frustrating when trying to navigate through a narrow channel or between danger marker bouys. I have not noticed it as much when cruising at faster speeds. I always have to make major corrections with the steering wheel or the nose of the boat pulls one way or another. any thoughts on how to correct, or is it just something I have to deal with? Never had the problem on other boats I have driven.

Since you say it handles fine at higher speeds I presume that means that the steering isn't sloppy, right?

It's more of a tracking straight problem then? Constant steering correction at low speed?

marine_man

yes, tracking straight problem, and constant steering corrections are probably a better way to describe my problem. The boat handles great at higher speeds.

any suggestions?

Does the boat just walk back and forth slightly when going slow?

My 17 Mr. Pike walks back and forth when at slow speeds. My Mr. Pike is a V-hull as I'm sure your Crestliner is, I think that is just a side effect to a V-hull. On plane steering and stability is whats important.

my boat is a crestliner tournament series boat, so it does have a v-hull. the steering does not seem sloppy. yes, it kind of walks back and forth. my brother has a friend with a pro-v and he said that boat does the same thing. Maybe it is just something I have to live with, side affect of v-hull, but it can sure be annoying at times. Isn't there some sort of fin on the motor that can be adjusted for better handling? any other suggestions? thanks.

If your steering isn't sloppy I believe it's just a side effect of the hull.

The fin I think you are thinking of is the trim tab, which adjusts your steering torque at higher speeds.

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

marine_man

I had a Dura tec. 16 ft. that did the same thing, I finally figgered out the boat was nose heavy. We moved every thing to the back, live well and fuel tank. If there was someone with me I moved the seat to the back too. made a world of difference. I can;t say this will solve your problem, but worth a try.

That could be, but I think you would also have similar problems at full throttle or they would be further amplified.

Moving some weight from the front as someone mentioned earlier is a good idea and might help the situation.

marine_man

With 175 hp you have a Teleflex hydraulic steering, it hsould have NO slop or play in helm.

If you navigate shallow channels with motor trimmed up it will be hard to keep it straight, motor works as a rudder.

The lower sits in water the better it is but if there's no clearance obviously you have to tilt up, thus problems with keeping it straight.