• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The spawn's a coming!

They aren't in full-bore spawning mode quite yet on our lake, but it shouldn't be long! Note the "baby weight" on this fatty! I am continously amazed at the size of carp that I see out there. I shot this one yesterday, and it was very average for what I saw/shot (sorry, no weight or measurements).

carp001kn2.jpg

I did have a lot of problems with arrows pulling out. What type of tips do you prefer? I'll get some photos of what I have up later and maybe some of you more experienced shooters can advise me.

Ralph what I've noticed with any point is complete penatration or the barbs cant open.I use 3 different tips and its all the same.except for a point I've had since I was young it has a fixed wire barb 1/2 way through it yet holds but with it I have to cut the fish off I recently noticed they are yet made and sold when I had to get a new arrow. laugh.gif

I've been performing mercy killings on wounded carp, buffalo and suckers all spring. I'll be flyfishing to a pod of fish when all of a sudden something around 15 pounds comes floating downstrteam missing half it's face from a glancing arrow wound, and I feel it neccesary to stomp on its' head to put it out of its' misery. [Note from admin: Please read foreum policy before posting again. Thank you.]Please, make sure you know what you are trying to kill, and actually do your best to get the job done. My parents taught me to kill only what I planned on eating, and I believe that is a good rule to live by. ~hogsucker

Everyone has their own right,But I stick with the DNR! any conservationist would agree carp are destroying our waters,fun to catch or not,they are invasive species and create havoc on our natural fishes and waters!Does he illegally release his fish?? cause he does'nt want to stomp on there heads??

muzzy has a new tip called the sure shot carp point. it has the same releasing system as a stingray and the barbs are thiner than the old muzzy clasics and its a better tip for softer fish. and hogsucker its a fact that carp wreck the duck population and mess up the native game fish and they need to be removed.

Grizz-

The tip I was having a problem with was a "Muzzy Quick Release Carp Point". Looks prety similar to the new "Sure Shot" point, maybe the wire barbs are thinner. I also have some older tips that look like the "Stingray" without replaceable tips. I haven't used them but I worry about penetration because it is a big tip and my bow is not real powerful.

I was having problems when they'd take off into the weeds. Maybe it's just a problem that I'll have to deal with. Maybe I need to let them run and chase them down with the Minn Kota?

Thanks for the advice.

Everyone says they are harmful, but what is the proof? Native fish are still thriving and anyways a much bigger threat are the dams that prevent migration to spawning grounds for some species and the pollution that washes into the water system. Noone seems to care about that though. You guy would feel different if your favorite fish (say bass or walleye) were being killed by the thousands, the largest ones targeted and slaughtered just for the fun of it with no restrictions. The DNR is the enemy of my fish.

River what do you do with your carp? eat them I do smoked,fry them I do bony,well they ruin waterways by keeping sediment constantly suspended,rooting out natural vegetation,which in turn kills protoplankton,and does'nt allow photosynthesis which in turn destroys all vegetation leaving a void in the natural food chain which in turn is diasterous to all inhabitants!! So eat all ya can!! By the way what do you do with your carp?? In europe the carp is a prized fish! Just for that reason, the native fishes have been decimated and carp are all thats left to angle for!

Quote:

I've been performing mercy killings on wounded carp, buffalo and suckers all spring. I'll be flyfishing to a pod of fish when all of a sudden something around 15 pounds comes floating downstrteam missing half it's face from a glancing arrow wound, and I feel it neccesary to stomp on its' head to put it out of its' misery. [Note from admin: Please read foreum policy before posting again. Thank you.]Please, make sure you know what you are trying to kill, and actually do your best to get the job done. My parents taught me to kill only what I planned on eating, and I believe that is a good rule to live by. ~hogsucker

You say you have been makeing mercy kills? How is it a mercy kill when you stomp on its head to kill it? Then what do you do with it you take it home probly not. You leave it there which is wanton wastes which is illegal.

I have seen many bow hunters down fishing for carp in ER, Monti and St. cloud. I have never seen any of them be disrespectful in any way.

I love the sound of a bow release from a distance and the smack on the water. No one is a 100% perfect all the time, there are going to be mishaps. Even with rod and reel or fly fishing, there is a mortality factor even after fish is released. I sure do not blame the fisherman for this. All you can do is try.

I treat carp as a game fish and release, but I do know they do harm (from what I have read and heard over the years). I remember the trash bins from the eighties, when it was illegal to throw them back. I would still do this today if the bins were still their. What ever happened to that law?

Ah well! someone allways has to voice their concern about everything. I am sure you would get objections from people if you were selling snowcones on a street corner. Hurts no one, but someone would be offened. Keep the carp kill photos coming, the are cool to look at.

Best regards

SHACKBASH

Hey guys...arrows are just going to pull out. I use a 70 pound Switchback...I have that baby turned waaaaaay up and my arrows still pull out.

Bowfisherman should acknowledge there are people who like to catch carp on a hook and line....carp fisherman should acknowledge bowfisherman like to shoot carp. Until one or the other is illegal...get over it. I personally love bowfishing and will continue to shoot as many carp as possible.