• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Orioles

WCS

Has anyone seen any Orioles this year yet? I have had the usual attractants out (oranges, grape jelly, oriole feeder) and have seen none. We usually see a lot of them this time of year. They are a very beautiful bird and look forward to their arrival each spring. It just seems as if they should have been here by now.

WCS,

Put my feeder out last Monday and Tuesday after the newspaper article deadline, there they were. Bugtussle is SW of Owatonna. Told my Mom at Spring Valley, and within a day they were there too. The hummingbirds showed the next day at both of our feeders. The high winds the past several days have limited their appearances (emptied the nectar feeders) but once the weather straightens out, am sure you'll have some. I was through Chatfield Sunday and went to my sister's place on Trout Run east of town. Mighty purty country down there. Many of my relatives still in Chatfield if you happen to know any of the Bernard clan. It's where my roots are originally.

Built two new feeders this winter, just for Orioles, and finally we have a few showing up. Not like last year. And WHERE are my Bluebirds? We usually have several houses occupied by now. Loons are back, Cardinals, Wrens etc.etc.

Its like a symphany outside our cabin window in the mornings. We don't need electronic Surround Sound....just open the window! grin.gif

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully they will make an appearance soon. I also spotted my first hummingbirds of the season this week. Good to see them again. Dotch, I do know of a few Bernards in Chatfield. One family lives at the end of our street and we know them to the extent of waving as we drive or walk by. Do you bring your trout rod with when visiting your sister? If you do, you'll have to drop me a line and we can hit Trout Run sometime. tlwolter at gmail .com

The males show up here when the Aspen leaves are half way out.

Its like clock work and this year they arrived on the 7th of May. Females came a few days later. I have them coming to suet and Oriole nectar feeder. Did the jelly feeder in the past but the bugs and rain made it a pain. I've counted 4 males at once so far.

They are here in Hooterville! Male and females both. When the Lil Mrs and I are sitting out in front the squalk as us because they cant get to the feeder! Have seen Hummingbirds as well. They will come ot the feeder while we are sitting there. Feeder is only about 5 feet from us so that is kind of fun! Had a big male Oriole perch on the morotcycle windshield and scold us last night. I guess to show his displeasure with us he left a "present" on the bike for me. Brazen little bugger eh! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo