• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

holes in bark of jack pine

I have a jack pine in the yard at the cabin and just found the bark is riddled with holes . These holes are in bunches and are even spaced and oval in shape. I have never seen anything like it . I am afraid the tree is done ? I planted when it was maybe two feet tall and is now 15-18 feet .I assume that this is some type of beetle damage ? I'm sure it's not a woodpecker .Can i save the tree and what can I do to cover the holes ? some kind of spray ? and do you think it will even help ? Thank you for your input.

Sounds like the results of a sapsucker. They are real birds and are very similar to a woodpecker. The make a grid pattern of holes that are pretty uniform. The holes are a wide oval anywhere from 1/4-1" wide. The tree could live for a long time or may die this year. Its hard to say. Its not so much about the damage done by the bird, but more about the insects and diseases that may find easy access since there are now several open wounds.

In less than 1 year I've lost 3 red pines in my yard to pine bark beetles. The bark has large patches of holes that resemble a shotgun blast. The symptoms are the tree starts turning red from the crown and moves down the tree. The only thing you can do is cut the tree down and take it to a compost site for disposal. To help and other pines in your yard you need to water the he!! out of them. These dry conditions make things worse. Hopefully you just have sapsuckers but keep a close eye on the trees. Good luck!