• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yard over ridden by weeds and dead spots

stmichael

My lawn consists of weeds and dead spots, what is the best way to get it green again? I have been told to till it up and then take a heavy grid pulling it behind the 4 wheeler to smooth it out. To me this seems like a big job. I want to try and have a decent looking yard this year... is it possible? weeds consist of mostly dandylions.

If there's no grass, then I'd start over. if you have a base of grass to work with, you can do it. I'd start by doing the weed and feed thing for the dandilions. then all I did when I was in your situation was fertilize, fertilize, fertilize. do it often, like monthly. eventually the grass will take over anythings else. when I bought my first house, I was in your situation. I just made a trip to the hardware store on the first of every month and fertilized it, by the time I sold the house, it was one of the nicest yards in town.

My first question is why are there dead spots? Do you have a dog?

I agree if you have say less than 30% grass, then start new. You don't have to till everything up, but you should find a way to scrape the ground up for good seeding, unless you want to do sod.

If its worth saving then still find a way to scrape it up, even if you just rake it. If you're gonna kill the weeds then you need to do that first cause the weed killer will harm new grass. Then spread seed and some starter fertilizer. Starter fert has some phospherous in it and is legal for establishing new lawns. It encourages root development.

Only mow when it gets in the 4-5" range. Mow down to 3" or higher. This is healthier for the lawn and helps shade out weeds from growing. Make sure you're watering enough.

The reason for the dead spots is the previous owner decided to thatch in the middle of the summer on a very hot day. He is an older gentleman 80+, His wife was really not happy when he was doing this. There is spots of dead grass and a lot of weeds. They never had a dog and nor do I. The lawn was beautiful before the thatching incident.

Thanks for the information, I will get going on it today. with any luck.

I can't understand what the thatching would have to do with it. Even in the middle of the summer. Oh well, if it was something else such as snow mold or insect damage it will show up again this summer most likely.

I am having the exact same problem with my yard. First, I raked it very well, then hit it hard with fertilizer and seed. Now, I am having dandelion problems! should I use weed killer yet, since the new grass is only 1-1.5inch high?

Quote:

I can't understand what the thatching would have to do with it. Even in the middle of the summer. Oh well, if it was something else such as snow mold or insect damage it will show up again this summer most likely.

It may be due to mold/insect damage, but, the yard looked very good before the thatching incident. He performed the thatching thing only in the front yard, back yard looks great. He had the style of thatcher that was used on the blades of a push mower, and had the deck set low. again maybe this is not where it generated from.