• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

John Boats ? stable or tippy ?

Cheers

I am looking to buy a portage boat and am thinking about a john boat # 1236,( 12 foot long and 36 inch wide). I have never been in one before . How do they handle. Thanks for the advise

My Old Town Penobscot canoe has about a 34" beam. It is stable (for a canoe). I would want more beam in a boat if I were you. I have never been in a boat with that narrow of a beam but I think I would expect it to only be a bit more stable than a canoe but you will be able to carry more gear.

Don't waste your money on this boat. First, it appears you do not have a lot of boating experience and this is a small, light and spooky boat. You will not like it much after you buy it because it won;t be long before it scares you....or worse, DUMPS you.

Get something with more beam and even more length. Or just get a square stern canoe.Heck, there are even a couple models of 12' alum rowboats that only weigh about 125 lbs. Lowes makes one I think.

Have fun. smile.gif

I looked up the #1236 jon boat on the Lowe HSOforum this morning, and actually, the "36" refers to the bottom width - not the beam. The beam of their #1236 is actually 56", which isn't too bad for a smaller boat. Boat is rated for 10 hp.

You may also want to look at the 12' semi-v boats from lowe, lund and etc. The semi-vs have a little deeper sides and more weight capacity than the jon boats.

my concern is how stable are they as compaired to a 12 foot skiff, will the go through rough water? The local dealer has got a 14 foot in stock but not a 12 footer, if he orders one in I have bought it and dont want to get stuck with a boat I dont want, I have a 16 foot coleman canoe that has a wide flat bottom, it is ok but to long to transport and to small comfortably fish from all day plus it is still tippy. My fishing partner has knee and hip problems and needs to be able to stand and be clumsey at times.

Several years ago Me, my dad and my grandfather went fishing on small waters in his 14' jon boat with 10hp and we did not stand up and had to be very careful.

Even with the bare WC-16 Semi V that I have you have to be careful about how you lean over the side, the boat will respond to your every move.

I think you need a 15' or 16' boat for you and your friend.