• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 115 4 stroke stalling

Northlander

If I come to a dock and shift out of gear into the neutral position it stalls almost every time now. It runs perfect besides this problem. I know this motor had some sensor replaced a year before I got it. I have also heard the 02 and 03's had this problem frequently. Im just wondering if RPM's are getting too low in neutral or what it is.

Its going in next week but I want to make sure I sound like I know what Im talking about. grin.gif

Steve, have them check neutral switch. Sometimes shifting linkage goes out of adjustment and engage the "gear start shutoff switch", which is the device that doesn't let motor start when in gear.

Many times fuel problems were addressed but those weren't the problem.

Since it's in the shop as might as well have them check it.

northlander,

I have an 01 f-115, same thing. When I first bought the boat it idled a little high, but I never had this problem, I brought the boat in for the higher idle, they adjusted it down, since then it will stall when engauging it into nuetral. I figured I would trade the stalling once in a while, ( half of the time) for a couple hundred rpm lower for trolling. I would rather it stall a few times then having it idle higher. But if you find out a fix for yours, other then raising the rpm up, let me know, I will bring mine in to get fixed also!

Tough to say Steve... I'm thinking it's got to be along the lines of Valv's suggestion if it doesn't die while in gear and low idle. I presume it's a quick shutdown and not a slow shutdown, like it looses spark, right?

marine_man

Ya as soon as I hit neutral its stalls out. I just had it tuned up and it runs great besides that. Some sort of sensor was replaced 3 years ago and it worked fine til last fall.