• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

25 hp

river runt

Hi I am looking to buy a new 4 stroke 25 hp out board . I go on the 25 hp part of bwca I notest that some are faster than others or handle a heavy load beter , I have a 25hp evenrude it seams to be a dog with a load I changed the prop to a diferint pitch witch helped with a load but slower with no load. do the 4 strokes have more torque making them faster with a load? Any suggestions or info on what is the most powerful 25 would be great. RR

4 strokes may have a bit more low-end torque, but are heavier and slower than comparable 2 strokes. They'll troll better and longer, and are more fuel efficient than 2 strokes, but 4 strokes are heavier and slower. Almost all of the resorts that run canoes out and up Saganaga run 2 strokes because they're faster.

You would be best off to go with a 2-stroke. The 4-stroke may have a hair more low end torque over the 2-stroke but thats about it. You will get better acceleration and power with the 2-stroke not to mention that it will cost you over $1600 less than comparable 4-strokes.

I have found with my boat with a 25hp Yam 2-stroke that the boat runs better and faster when the people or cargo are in the proper place in the boat. In larger boats weight placement isn't as important as in our smaller boats.

Does your Evinrude need a tune-up? Hows compression? Your Evinrude is a great and simple motor and could be put back into tip-top shape for little $$$ compared to a new outboard. Maybe try switching to a Stainless Prop. I'm going to pick up a stainless prop soon.

Heatman do you know what kind of outboard they run?

My evinrude runs great I get a bought 20,21 mpr with no load but 2 adults and fill the live well or load up for camping it realy takes a toll on the geting on a plane and top end.

I talked to twincity outboard they said the 25 OMC's are slow they thought I should look for a 3 cyl 2 stoke they liked the suzuki but they seem hard to find.

the guys I camp with one has a 4 stroke yamaha and simalar boat and load he out runs me no prob the other has a smaller boat with 20 2 stroke merc and I cant shake him I know its not a race but it realy bugs me when iam heading for the portage and every one that passes me means add 30 min on my wait.

I dont want to turn my 25 into a 30 I want to obey the laws if I can.

does any body know what kind of numbers I should look for when I take a compression test. Thanks RR

Quote:

Heatman do you know what kind of outboard they run?

My evinrude runs great I get a bought 20,21 mpr with no load but 2 adults and fill the live well or load up for camping it realy takes a toll on the geting on a plane and top end.

I talked to twincity outboard they said the 25 OMC's are slow they thought I should look for a 3 cyl 2 stoke they liked the suzuki but they seem hard to find.

the guys I camp with one has a 4 stroke yamaha and simalar boat and load he out runs me no prob the other has a smaller boat with 20 2 stroke merc and I cant shake him I know its not a race but it realy bugs me when iam heading for the portage and every one that passes me means add 30 min on my wait.

I dont want to turn my 25 into a 30 I want to obey the laws if I can.

does any body know what kind of numbers I should look for when I take a compression test. Thanks RR

Nobody makes a 3 cylinder 25hp 2-stroke. All suzuki makes is 4-strokes now and they offer the 25hp in only a 2 cylinder.

Be careful how much weight you hang on the back of a smaller boat, the lighter the better. I take it the max HP for your boat is a 25?

Yup, Mercs on most. Plenty fast and parts are all over the place. My personal opinion is to go with OMC two-stroke, but to each his own. My Ely 25 goes just fine, if you know what I mean...

I bet your speed is due to tilt angle, prop pitch, or just the overall rig you're running. Some boats are faster than others - weight is a big issue. Plain old Lund 16's have a pretty flat pad on back - doesn't take much to get them to go fast. If you've a boat with some V back there, you may be slicing a bit more water - pushing more instead of riding on top. Hard to say.

Quote:

Nobody makes a 3 cylinder 25hp 2-stroke.

I have a 98 Johnson 3 cyl. 2 stroke. Not sure if they still make it. Its a very smooth engine but its heavier than a 2 cyl. I can get up to 25 mph in my 16' Crestliner Fishhawk tiller by myself.

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody makes a 3 cylinder 25hp 2-stroke.

I have a 98 Johnson 3 cyl. 2 stroke. Not sure if they still make it. Its a very smooth engine but its heavier than a 2 cyl. I can get up to 25 mph in my 16' Crestliner Fishhawk tiller by myself.

Johnson stopped making 2-strokes above 15hp several years ago. Evinrude doesn't even make an outboard under 40hp anymore. Suzuki makes a 30hp 3cylinder 4-stroke.

Its a shame where outboards are heading IMO. frown.gif

I dont think its a shame! The advances in these new 2 and 4 stroke engines have came along way. I have no problem with my 115 4 stroke getting better economy then my old 30 horse. Then the lack of smoke while back trolling, I dont miss that much, also the pretty oil clouds that the motor would leave in the water, Im sure the fish doesnt miss that much either.

Heartman you my be on to something I have a 16' lunker with the V in back,the boats that are out running me have the flat pad in back, what a drag the V in back has other problems to when the motor is in in shalow drive it doesnt back up vary well . I duck hunt with this boat to so when I stuff it in the cattails I have heck of a time getting it out not like my old Lund . maybe I will hold out until Bombardier starts making the E-tec in a 25 and get a hole new rig. all though I really like that new Merc. RR

The V in the back is a carryover from the design of the Pro-V series though. Even though those other boats will beat you flat out, you'll have a much smoother ride in rough water - slicing through instead of pounding on top. Good analogy would be to compare the ride of jonboat to that of your lunker. pounding on top vs. cutting through. The deep V design is a much better choice for rougher water.

I have a Princecraft Starfish 15 with an older 25 hp Evinrude 2 stroke. This is a great combination for smaller lakes and will outrun many heavier boats with 40 - 50 hp. This boat has a deep tapered vee in the bow that runs to a flat pad in the rear, so it does okay in the chop, too. You don't see too many of them in the states - they are built in Canada.