• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun Question

woody1975

My daughter just passed her Firearms Safety Test and I would like to get her a 20 gauge pump. What do you guys recommend?

I have shot the 870 for a long time and a Mossberg before that. Both guns were 12 gauges and I put thousands of rounds through each of them and they still perform well today.

My question really deals with what kind of experiences have you had with either of these 20 gauges. I want to be well informed, because I have 3 other kids coming behind her that will probably be using the same gun. Has anyone had any problems with either of these or would you suggest any other brand. Right now cost and performance are my major concerns.

TY in advance.

DL

i'm taking it since your from southern MN your looking for a shotgun for bird and for slug hunting. My girlfriend was afraid of the 12 gu kick so she ended up getting a 20 gu. She loves it because it's light and it will take down dang near anything. Great trap gun just gotta watch it when you go to goose. But great round if she's worried about kick and definately work for most game.

Yeah, I'd start them out with a 20-gauge. Less kick and much lighter, which are better for younger hunters because they usually are smaller framed hunters. Make hunting as easy and enjoyable as possible for them at an early age. I haven't shot a Mossberg 20-gauge, but their 12-gauges are decent. Especially for the entry level price.

I started with a Mossberg 20ga some 30 years ago. I still have the gun and my kids will be starting with it in a few years. I would recommend it. Good price on a starter gun, and really bullet proof (sorry smile.gif )as far as durability goes.