• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can-Am

killerloop1

Nope, I haven't ridden one. They are a hefty price but most seem to really like them.

Although, I have seen the "visco lock" not work all that great. A locking front diff. isn't always necessary, but I like having it.

There is a video on the net that has one in it. It is a long video, but it shows rather clear that the visco lock doesn't always work. I could give you the address if you want to download a 50 meg file and watch it.

I bought 2006 "Bombardier" (now Can-AM) 400 Outlander HO XT in Oct '05.

At the time, I was looking to buy a brand new machine. I had looked at Yamaha, Polaris, and Honda's. I road a friend's Bombardier in Canada, and found out their standard warranty was 3 years. The japs and Polaris's were only 6 months. The Yamaha salesman told me "they are not going to give you a long warranty on something you are going to go through mud and water with". That sounded reasonable to me, at the time.

All the owners of Honda's and Polaris's I talked to seemed very happy with those brands so I was leaning towards those 2 models. Then I saw an tv infomercial on Bombadier showing different tests against the other major brands. The Bomabadier did better or at least as good as the others. Then, on the infomercial, they offered a FREE 5 year warrranty if you visited their HSOforum. Any company that would stand behind their machine for 3 to 5 years got my business so I bought the Bombadier and I'm very happy with it.

I have not had any problems with my Viscolok working.

I have been stuck a few times, mostly because of trying to go over stumps and down trees. I am very glad I got the winch option. I reccommend a winch to everyone.

An infomercial! ROFL This is how people make decisions. LOL

That infomercial is a joke. shocked.gif

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but it was rather ridiculous the stunts they tried to pull in that infomercial.

As for warranty, there isn't much that breaks or goes wrong on these newer machines. The stuff that does is normal maintenance stuff that warranty wouldn't cover anyways.

I've had a Bombardier outlander 400 max for the past 2 years and am very satisfied with it. I have been unable to stick it but have come close. The viscoloc works well and as my kids will tell you they are impressed. They have actually tried to stick the son of a gun in the swamp on the back of my property and have been totally unable to. Love the 3 year warranty that I got too. Haven't had to use it but like the peace of mind. All the power you need, good towing capacity and comfortable ride and I can take the wife along. She loves the passenger seat and is very comfortable. I think all the major brands are good ATV's but the Can-Am fit my needs the best. As far as price, it was only a few hundred more than a Rubicon which was the other machine I was looking at.

I've been trying to decide between a Polaris and a Can Am. I've been leaning towards the Polaris because that's all I've ever had for snowmobiles and the majority of my friends that I will be riding with all have Sportsmans. Although, they have a great ride and a strong engine. I've heard that they have 20+ grease zerts and are 100-200 lbs heavier than the competition. After pricing out a new Sportsman X2 DLX with all the same features as the Can Am Max XT. There is only a few hundred dollar difference - and considering the Can Am has a Warn Winch ($100 Add on for Polaris) and they have a 3 yr warranty, compared to Polaris's 6 months. I think they are priced quite similar. I shopped all day Saturday for Polaris's. I'm shopping all day tomorrow for Can-Am's.

Why isnt yamaha brought up in this, to be honest, I own a couple of them, never had a problem with either of them! I have raced the honda and the articat smoked them both! I cant speak of the can-am I never drove one, or drove with some one that has one, but as for their commercial, they dont talk of it either! I can honestly say my grizzly has been through about as much as it could be through, never had a problem with it! I guess my question is why hasnt yamaha been brought up for a comparison?

Quote:

Why isnt yamaha brought up in this, to be honest, I own a couple of them, never had a problem with either of them! I have raced the honda and the articat smoked them both! I cant speak of the can-am I never drove one, or drove with some one that has one, but as for their commercial, they dont talk of it either! I can honestly say my grizzly has been through about as much as it could be through, never had a problem with it! I guess my question is why hasnt yamaha been brought up for a comparison?

It wasn't intended to be a comparison. I had a sportsman, and sold for can-am, rode buds c/a and was moved..I've heard good things about the grizzly and the king quad. but have not riden one. I went with what I've riden and didn't need to test ride another... PRO_can am

can ham = weak frames, weak a-arms and cant handle the abuse that other quads can

they have great motors (rotax) and are super fast. Dont get me wrong I love the concept of the renegade, but from what I have seen first hand(on more than one occasion), anytime these machines are pushed hard they break under abuse that other quads simply soak up.

In all fairness no machine out there has a fool proof frame. You can goto any ATV forum on the internet and read thread after thread how frames from Polaris to Suzuki to Honda have cracked or been damaged over the life of the quad. The CanAm machines are no different. With a set of skids on the Can Am machines I don't find their frames are any weaker than any other frame out there. Keep in mind nearly every machine out there has a set of factory/stock skid plates, the Bombardier machines do not. BOMBARDIER if you are reading this, you really have dropped the ball on not providing ample STOCK protection to your quads. For the amount of money people pay for those machines they shouldnt have to spend another $400 or so on set of good skids.

you can buy almost any other ute out there for 6500 and still have $$$ left over for mods or whatever else compared to $9500+ for a stock quad

in the end to each his own, more competition between manufactures just helps improve the market

Polaris did away with the grease zerks, now a non issue.

Sportsman vs. Can Am in weight, not much difference.

Polaris has AWD, Can Am does not.

Can Am is fast, but weak as already explained above.

I bought my Kawi's over a Sportsman 800 because of the weight factor. I am thinking about trying out a Polaris again though. They have a great ride.

Alright, in the past 4 days I have hit Polaris dealerships in Eagle Bend, Alex, Fergus Falls, Bristows, Mies Outland, and Melrose. And the Can Am dealers in Alex, Sauk Centre, Honda House, and Richmond Marine. Bristows and Mies were the cheapest for Polaris and I came close to getting one at Mies yesterday. Honda House was the cheapest that I checked for Can Am's. After taking test drives on both and weighing the prices compared with the options, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an Outlander 500 XT tomorrow. The test drive and the fact that I have had a few bad experiences with the Polaris dealer in Alex is what swayed my decision to go with the Can Am.

Love it so far. I took it out Friday with a couple of buddies that had Sportsman 500's. Put on about 20 miles and gave it it's first mud bath! We have a Spring Fling in two weekends where there will be about 15 quads of every make and model, so I'll have a better idea after that. But I'm really happy with my decision right now.