• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop for 200 HP Verado

Lund4Fish

I have a Lund Pro-V 1900 with a Mercury, Verado 200HP motor. The motor has a 21 pitch prop on it which won't let me get into my maximum RPM range. I need to go down to either a 19, or maybe even 17 pitch prop. I can only turn 5500 RPM's now and I need to get somewhere between 5800-6400 RPM's. Does anyone out there have the same set up or close and if so, what pitch prop are you running? I hate to go buy a prop and not get the right one again, they aren't to cheap these days. Thanks

Can you raise your motor, doing so will get you 150-200 rpms per hole. Removing the vent plugs might get you another 50 rpms. It seems odd to me that you need such a low pitch prop, I would have guessed a 21 would be right for your boat.

Call around, some dealers and prop shops will let you rent or borrow props to test, I've done it for $25/prop. Sure beats buying one if you don't know it's the right one.

I agree with PJ, have dealer you bought it from get you propped correctly., I don't think you paid little money for that boat, so have a pro look into it.

Thanks for the advice. It's a 2005, I've got about 60 hours on it now. One of my problems is that I bought the boat in Minnesota and then moved out to Washington (State) a few weeks later. I can move the motor up, it's set 1 hole from the top and I can move up 3 more, if it doesn't put the prop to high out of the water. The prop I've got on there now is a S.S., Mercury, Tempest Plus (about $500), you're right they're not cheap at all. I was hoping someone out there might have the same boat and motor and have theirs dialed in with the right prop and pass that info along.

5500rpm does not sound too bad. 5800-6400rpm is the max WOT rpm that mercury lists and I don't blame you for wanting to get max performance out of your rig.

I for one never had to move a motor from the factory mounting position and I don't think you have to either. The best thing to do is try to get ahold of a 19P prop like your 21P and test it out. I don't think a 17P will be enough prop.

To get 5500rpm how far do you have to trim the motor out?

I have to trim the motor up as high as I can get it without it loosing any "bite" to get the 5500 RPM's. If I go any higher it just makes a nice rooster tail, but then it starts porpoising, however the speed doesn't go up at all. I can get 55-56 MPH on a regular basis. The Mercury mechanic where I had it serviced and a factory Rep from Mercury both said I need to get it up into the Max RPM range. They say the Verado's are a high RPM motor and I'm lugging it to much if I can't at least get into the full throttle RPM range (min. 5800 RPM's)I agree that a 17 pitch seems way to low for it though. I was really hoping someone on this HSOforum might have the same set up and have theirs set up just right and be able to let me know what the correct combination is. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to try and find a place that will let me try a few props.